Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

i have an ear infectin that was not cured by 1 week amoxicllin

Customer Question

i have an ear infectin that was not cured by 1 week amoxicllin 500mg tds. in telephone consultation with dr he has prescribed augmentin don't know the dose until i pick the prescription up. I am fit and well and cycle 5 times a week with a club. also though, i drink 2 pints of beer 5 times a week. a glass of wine once a week (if that) and rarely a measure of spirit (about once every 3 months) my mum who very rarely drinks (cyclist also) developed toxic hepatits after i.v augmentin and was very ill.
Can you advise me should I make the dr aware of my mum and am I more at risk?
Thanks Lisa
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. The chances of your having the same reaction to the augmentin as your mum did would be very low but there's no need to take the risk so, yes, let your doctor know about your mum's case and there are other antibiotics like Cipro or Septra that should be effective for your ear infection