Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My son had blood on his T shirt from someone he said was HIV

My son had blood on his T shirt from someone he said was HIV positive he had tests etc which was fine. He sat my car and the area where the blood was came in contact with the seat belt. I had a cut in my nose and put my finger which had touched the seatbelt, could I catch HIV from this?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Just for clarity here--was there actually blood on the seatbelt and, if so, how long had it been there before you came in contact with it?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Can you respond to my questions please Jane?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr Chip I don't know how long the blood was on the T shirt, but my son had the TShirt on touching the seatbelt for 200 miles home or he may have come home by train. So there is either way a 200 mile journey from when the blood on the Tshirt came into contact with the seatbelt and then me sitting with a cut on my head and me touching the seatbelt and then touching my cut head. I hope this makes sense!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Jane. Once again you can't get HIV in this manner. Absolutely no way
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also rubbed my eyes too is this no risk too? How long would the blood stay alive? Also today while out we as a family went down a street where there are many nightclubs and gay bars and when we were walking there was a lot of blood after a fight, I don't no how long it had been there, but we had all walked through it without realising, I had a pair of shoes which slip off and I am worried they may have slipped off without me knowing the blood was there, I have some cracks in my heels, also my son accidentally kick my foot, he may also have stepped in the blood. I am so worried, I also cut myself on a takeaway foil container, someone may have cut themselves before me. Oh dear I am in such a state my OCD is getting the better do me. I am worried I have HIV now.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You need to work much harder on your OCD Jane and none of the scenarios you described would transmit HIV to you.

But we really need a rating now after all the time I've spent with you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh sorry but I have paid £40 just now and thought I had rated before this. If I had a bath and some of the blood that I may have stepped in was on my feet would this get into my private parts and infect me with HIV?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No rating so far Jane

No, even that way you can't get HIV