Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

had a colonoscopy last Monday . Was suffering with haemmorhoids

had a colonoscopy last Monday . Was suffering with haemmorhoids before the procedure.
Procedure was abandoned after 5 minutes due to allegedly insufficient prep ,which was news to me!
Some blood when having BM ,3 days later.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--what exactly is your question about this please? And what kind of prep did you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The prep was Moviprep - 2 times 2 sachets.

The question concerns the fact that I am concerned about blood in the toilet when I have a bowel movement.

I was suffering with haemmorhoids before the procedure and the prep made them much worse.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--how old are you and was it explained to you why the scope was necessary?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Age 59. Had surgery for acid reflux approx. 7 years ago.

Was seeing a doctor specialising in such matters for a review.

No major symptoms.

He suggested the Colonoscopy ,because one hadn't been carried out for 4 or 5 years.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. Most likely the bleeding was from your hemorrhoids and the real reason for the colonoscopy was as a screening for polyps and possible colon cancer. Sounds like you'll need a different prep like GoLytely
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou.

So I should not worry too much,and it should clear up soon?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes it should clear up soon but you can use either Preparation H or a cortisone cream to your anus for now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou.

I am dreading the next Colonoscopy,as I stuggled with the last prep.

You are correct-they have given me another type of laxative-Movi-liquid?

I am worried that I will struggle with the prep again-I felt ill-and the haemmorhoids became worse before and after.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand but the new prep should work for you--let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou.What difference will the different laxative make please?

The colonoscopy was carried out last time by an assistant supervised by a senior doctor.

Is it appropriate to request that the senior doctor actually carries out the next procedure?

I have read about the possibility of complications from the procedure.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It's just much more effective in cleaning out the entire colon so that every inch of it can be visualized with the scope. It certainly is your right to ask for the senior doctor. Complications are very rare and include a perforation of the colon or possibly just an abrasion but all in all it's a very safe and necessary procedure
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.