Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

I am a 29 year old male. 5'5 in height. I'm healthy in general

I am a 29 year old male. 5'5 in height. I'm healthy in general and in good shape. My weight is 10 stone. I have had a wheeze on and off (one day to 3 days a week) passed 18 months. I also suffer with shortness of breath at times and racing heart all mostly at night.
I have had 2 x-Rays, 4 blood tests, extensive asthma tests & a stress CBT course. All came back clear. My stress levels and blood pressure is measured as fine when assessed on a self questionnaire.
The wheeze comes when I breath in. In a 5 second breath in, I'm clear first part but as my lungs fill I receive a loud whistle. This has been the same passed 18 months.
My doctors are struggling to work out where to go next. I have been proscribed an anti histamine as my sinuses produce much mucus which seems to be linked. We have changed house, bed and bedding and I still suffer.
I have this no matter where I am. I seem to be worse on a night. When I have the wheeze with excessive mucus I seem to cough hour before it settles down.
I have also tried a course of anti-biotics but that has not improved things . It's a mystery. My wife thinks it is linked to a scuba diving course back in February 2014 but I recall having it before then.
Any help or information is much appreciated. I am not sure where to go from here? Should I go private? Should I forget about it and hope that it goes away. My thoughts are if it was serious it would of shown on the x-Rays and bloods? One doctor once said my lungs maybe out of shape due to lack of exercise. I walk approximately 3 miles a day and walk as much as I can when not working.
James
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Natasha :

James

Dr. Natasha :

Have you had a CT scan of the chest?

Dr. Natasha :

Are you seeing a pulmonologist?

Customer: , no none of the above. My doctors seem to ask me I want to be done next rather than offering me guidance. I don't like to say bad things about them but they don't seem to know what to do next
Dr. Natasha :

I would ask them CT scan of the chest and a referral to a pulmonologist

Dr. Natasha :

This is not related to your diving

Dr. Natasha :

but you can still have subtle abnormalities on the CT which are not seen on chest xray and you can have normal pulmonary function tests

Dr. Natasha :

get these done and I will reach out to you in about a month, ok?

Dr. Natasha :

?

Dr. Natasha :

did you see what I wrote?

Dr. Natasha :

are you still there

Dr. Natasha :

did I provide you with excellent service?

Dr. Natasha :

:-)?

Customer: thank you, ***** ***** request this from my doctor and see what they say. Thank you service :)
Dr. Natasha :

Customer: Yes excellent service, many thanks
Customer: it makes sense as I have had chest pains also. The doctors have known this and I have visited them a lot with chest pains but they have never suggested this
Customer: They said due to x Rays being clear it must be muscular