Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had a cold now which results in night sweats

Customer Question

I have had a cold now which results in night sweats nasal congestion production of phlem especialy at night early morning. at present i am taking covonia coughs and beechams. I am medication pressure,cholesterol,and fungal nail infection.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Are you having any pain in the sinuses?
What is the colour of the phlegm that is draining from the head/nose/sinuses?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes minor discomfort some restriction on breathing it is a pale lime/white colour mainly brought to surface when coughing which can reach to the point of vomiting

Thank you additional information.

There are several considerations in this situation.

First, although most cold resolve relatively quickly, it is possible cold to last a couple weeks. About 10-15% of viral infections will last two weeks or more.

However, when a infection has persisted couple weeks, it is reasonable to consider whether there is a bacterial infection that has developed on top of the viral infection. There are two types of bacterial infections that should be considered in this situation. The most common would be a bacterial sinus infection. It is also possible to develop a bacterial bronchial infection, although this mostly only occurs in smokers.

If there is sinus pain and the phlegm is turning green, that is worrisome that a bacterial infection is developing. However, since you describe the discomfort as mild and the colour as pale lime, it would not be significant at this point, so it would be reasonable to continue to manage it as a viral infection.

Since you are being treated , it would be better to avoid the use of decongestants, so the usual next intervention that I would consider would be irrigation of the nose and sinuses with warm salt water, such as with a NetiPot. If the sinus pain and green colour worsens, then it would be worrisome that a bacterial infection is developing, and it would be appropriate to see your physician.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.