Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I've been on Metronidazole . It was a 7 day

Customer Question

I've been on Metronidazole . It was a 7 day course, 400mg twice a day. On the morning on day four I got pins and needles in my hands, feet and face, ad a kind of gentle fizzing in my legs. I took one more pill and within two hours I had fizzing all over my body, including the inside of my mouth, dizziness, pins and needles in my extremities, burning pains in my arms and legs and little picking pains that came and went all over my limbs. I discontinued taking it. That was Monday. Now, Saturday, I still have some tingling in my legs, gentle pins and needles in my fingers, fizzing in the bottom of my feet and a cold patch on my lower left leg. I was dizzy this morning. It's been ike that since monday, although I do seem to be getting better slwly - the symptoms are less extreme already, but my problem is that I am sure the Trich is still there - I am till symptomatic - and the only other antibiotic that my local clinic and GP know of is Tinidizole, which carries the same risks ofperipheral neurosis. It's taken in one big dose of 2g all at once. I'm scared. If I take 2g all at once I won't even be able to discontinue - I will have tke it all at a high dose, which some websites seem to say is when the peripheral neuropathy risk is highest. It's hard to find accurate information, though The internet seems to say that I mustn't take it, but I can't work out what else I can do. There doesn't seem to be an effective home remedy . Please advise. Thanks so much.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

your pins and needles in your hands and feet and face most likely are from your anxiety and worry about neuropathy

Dr. David :

most likely your symptoms are not from the metronidazole.

Dr. David :

you need to go back on the metronidazole to treat the trichomonoas.

Dr. David :

you stopped the metronidazole week and you still had the symptoms of tingling and pins and needles.

Dr. David :

so it was not from the metronidazole.

Dr. David :

it sounds like you have excessive anxiety symptoms.

Dr. David :

are you on medications to help lower your anxiety symptoms?

JACUSTOMER-zzblqztm- :

There are lots of testimonialsa online of people who have had neurological symptoms caused by metronidazole. /It is one of the known side effects. I don't have anxiety/.

Dr. David :

reading these testimonials online will not help you treat your trichomonas

JACUSTOMER-zzblqztm- :

the leaflet in the metronidazole says stop taking if you experience tingling as metronidazole can cause peripheral neuropathy. Belive me, what i experienced was not anxiety. It was one of the most extreme experiences of my life.

Dr. David :

neuropathy is a very rare side effect of metronidazole.

JACUSTOMER-zzblqztm- :

Yes. And I think it is happening to me.

Dr. David :

then you need to go back to your gyn doctor or GP doctor and get re-evaluated

Dr. David :

to check your nerves.

Dr. David :

and to get another medication.

JACUSTOMER-zzblqztm- :

This is unhelpful. I wan my money back. I was asking a NEUROLOGIST who knows about nerves, whether someone who has had neurological problems caused by metronidazole can take tinidazole. My GP doesn't know. Seeing a nerologist will take weeks.

JACUSTOMER-zzblqztm- :

There isn't another medication. That's the whole problem

Dr. David :

there are other medications.

JACUSTOMER-zzblqztm- :

great! what are they?

Dr. David :

Clotrimazole can be used.

Dr. David :

it is an old treatment and can cure trich in about 50% of cases.

Dr. David :

clotrimazole is used in vaginal suppository form.

JACUSTOMER-zzblqztm- :

Does that carry the same risks?

Dr. David :

no.

Dr. David :

it is also safe to use in pregnancy.

JACUSTOMER-zzblqztm- :

Oh. It's canasten. I already took the oral form - it didn't work.

Dr. David :

you use it in a vaginal suppository form.

JACUSTOMER-zzblqztm- :

Is that my only option? And can you please give a professional opinion on whether it's safe to take tinidazole?

Dr. David :

yes, it is safe to take tinidazole.

Dr. David :

neuropathy symptoms would be if you couldn't walk or talk or if you had numbness of your arm

Dr. David :

your symptoms don't sound like neuropathy from metronidazole.

JACUSTOMER-zzblqztm- :

even though the leaflet says don't if you experience tingling?

Dr. David :

those leaflets often are too overly cautious in that way.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

if done , please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit you today

you can always reach me with "a question . David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks JustAnswers.com