Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

how do i manage my migraine headache pain without taking pain

how do i manage my migraine headache pain without taking pain relief ? I have had in patient iv DHE and botox injections today.I cannot tolerate any of the meds that my nuerologist has given me and he wants me to stop all pain which i find very difficult to do.
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 2 years ago.
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I can understand your point of view but may i mention here that migraine headache is a condition which is extremely distressing person so much so that a natural or home remedy same may take too long to subside therefore a medication/ drug therapy can bring about much faster relief.
Kindly tell me what medications other than the ones you have mentioned above you have been taking migraine ?
I will get back to you after you respond to me and tell you both natural remedies as well as potent drug therapy of your condition.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am taking 6 panadol daily .

Thanks inputs.
Well you see panadol can be used as a short term symptomatic relief headache but it cannot act as a long term relief same. So you need to discuss the below mentioned regime with your doctor and more effective results.
-- Ask your doctor to put you on 10 mg sibelium ( generic name -- flunarizine ) to be taken once a day in the morning. This shall bypass the need of panadol 6 tablets but you may use panadol prn ( taken as per need ) in the initial week or two that you are started on sibelium since this much duration may be required by the drug adjusted in your body system and producing the desired action.
Once the sibelium has got settled in your body and your migraine symptoms have started to wane off then you can choose to continue on sibelium only.
-- If in a rare case it may so happen that after 1 month use of sibelium you have not reaped significant improvement in your migraine headache both in terms of intensity and frequency ( at least 25 % improvement ) then you may ask your doctor to consider adding a drug called as Elavil ( Amitriptyline ) at dose of 25 mg to be taken once a day at night time. This regime of sibelium 10 mg in morning and Elavil 25 mg at night shall most likely conttrol your migraines.
Other than the above mentioned treatment strategy that you shall discuss with your doctor and get started on, you can consider practicing below mentioned natural remedies to counter your migraine.
1) Vitamin b 2 rich food supplements like liver, lean beef, lamb, venison, whole grains, tempeh, yogurt, low-fat milk, eggs, almonds, crimini mushrooms, are considered to help in preventing migraine headaches.
2) Magnesium mineral rich food supplements like Pumpkin seeds, spinach, Swiss chard, wild Alaskan salmon, halibut, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flaxseeds, soybeans, are also helpful to prevent migraine headache.
3) Herbs like Butterbur and feverfew can also be used to prevent migraines. You may ask about them from a pharmacy near you after of course discussing their use with your doctor.
4) Some foods are considered to trigger migraines and these are Schocolate, cheese, claret (and other red wines), coffee (and other sources of caffeine) and citrus fruits and so they need to be avoided.
So kindly discuss all of this with your doctor and try this out results.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.