DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

, i have roundish bald patches on my scalp,they are very

Customer Question

Hi, i have roundish bald patches on my scalp,they are very smooth and sometimes sore. I noticed the first bald patch probably at age 16 or so, now am 22 and i have like up to 5/6 patches on my scalp. What could be the cause of these
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
still need help?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
One possible cause is alopecia arreta....resulting in patchy baldness.
It is considered to possibly be autoimmune.
This is a prime possibility, but other skin diseases and scalp diseases can do this as well.
I would be glad to look at a picture as well.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When i did my research on this problem i discovered that hair loss caused by alopecia areata usually grows back after a couple months. My hair loss areas have remained bald and some of them get even bigger than it was when i first noticed it. So i just wanted to know if there could be another cause . A dermatologist once told me that it was DLE ,please what is it. Sorry i was unable to send a send a photo.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
We do not diagnose on the site.
Alopecia arreta can be chronic in many people.
In addition, I gave you a list of possibilities above.
You need to have an exam and blood tests by an internist, or dermatologist.
I would start with an internist.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
thanks
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.