Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

is a heart rate of 40 normal who just had surge

Customer Question

is a heart rate of 40 normal who just had surgery?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
from JustAnswer.

No, a heart rate of 40 would not be normal after surgery. It is possible that a slow heart rate can occur as a side effect of certain medicines that are given during or around the surgery or as a complication of certain types of heart surgery. But even in these situations, it would not be considered normal and will usually indicate a need at least monitoring, and possibly other interventions.

If you know what medicines were given during or around the time of surgery, I can comment upon whether this is a common side effect to those medicines. Also, if you want to say what type of surgery was done, I can comment upon whether this can occur as a complication of that surgery.
I have not heard back with any additional information.

The answer provided above would be true in the vast majority of cases. However, if you wish to provide the additional information noted above, I can comment on the specifics in your situation.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The patient had her appendix removed. Although pre-op heart rate was 51-60. Her heart was consistently 48-50. She was awake and alert. She had fluids intravenously and 30 minutes observations.

An appendectomy would not cause a heart rate of 40, although certain medicines given during the surgery may have lowered the heart rate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She had fentanyl, some morphine and Paracetamol. She was awake and alert though. Intravenous fluids were running.

The fentanyl and morphine can cause a slow heart rate, but the fentanyl is more potent, so the heart rate of 40 would most likely be a side effect to the fentanyl.