Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have a reasonable blood pressure at 110/70 - although I am

I have a reasonable blood pressure at 110/70 - although I am usually 90/57 - but my resting pulse has incresed in the last two weeks from 73 to 95bpm. Can you advise what might be causing this? I am a 48 year old woman on bio-identical hormone treatment as I am menopausal - in case this helps. Howver I have been on bioidenticals under a doctor's supervision last 6 years.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

many things can cause fast resting heart rate.

Dr. David :

elevation of your thyroid hormone level can do this.

Dr. David :

increased anxiety or panic symptoms can increase your heart rate.

Dr. David :

you need to see a doctor and get blood testing to check your thyroid hormone levels.

Customer:

I am actually on thyroid medication already - 2 x armour thyroid tablets a day. I have been on this dosage a year without problems - till now. Should I reduce to one tablet tomorrow perhaps? I was diagnosed as having an underactive thyroid the same time as I went on bio-identicals i.e. 6 years

Dr. David :

you need to get blood testing of your TSH level.

Dr. David :

I bet your dose of armour is too high and you are causing hyperthyroid levels in your system.

Dr. David :

testing with TSH levels, and then changing your dose and then resting in 6-8 weeks is the only way to know if your armour dose is correct.

Customer:

oky I will do this - but in the meantime is it safe to reduce my thyroid dosage tomorrow to just one tablet?

Dr. David :

yes, it is safe to reduce your dose.

Dr. David :

but changes in your thyroid hormone dose can take a few weeks to help decrease your heart rate.

Dr. David :

thyroid hormone is a slow hormone to change

Customer:

Many thanks, ***** ***** way - if my dose is too high could that be what is causing the tingling/trembling sensation in my arms, legs and hands?

Dr. David :

yes,

Dr. David :

high thyroid hormone levels can cause this

Dr. David :

as well as poor sleep

Dr. David :

and weight loss as well.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

if done , please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit you today

you can always reach me with "a question . David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks JustAnswers.com

Customer:

Hurrah - I forgot to mention I have not been sleeping well at all. Thank you Mr David - I had no idea what was wrong with me but of course I was thinking the worst!

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

Thanks JustAnswers.com