Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Sorry to bother you I am 62 and suffer from high blood pressure

Sorry to bother you
I am 62 and suffer from high blood pressure and Type 2 but both are well controlled and I am otherwise pretty healthy.
I have had a pretty bad cold (had FLU JAB) and am a bit chesty.
I am still on patches (absolutely essential but but now only 10mg) having given up smoking 18th May 2014. Getting there !!
Problem is that last couple of weeks I have had the tast of blood in my mouth. I am not noticeably coughing it up but it is very noticeable when I cough and being a bit congested right now is starting to worry me.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
, Thanks question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Do you have symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat, headache, lymph nodes in neck, change in voice or difficulty in swallowing? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no dont think so

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Sir thanks a lot input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. As per your description the likely cause of your symptom of feeling blood in mouth is sinus infection secondary to that cold. In sinus infections it is not necessary to have all other symptoms of sinus infection. People can just present with this blood taste in mouth. The cough is also secondary to that sinus infection. The other cause can be a lower respiratory tract or chest infection. Both types of infections are equally possible. I know you must be worried . In my opinion with the history of cold and symptoms starting after that cold few weeks back, cancer is not likely. You should see your doctor as you need to get chest x rays and sinus x rays after examination to get to the cause. You may also need antibiotics. The absence of specific cancer symptoms that I asked for, also makes cancer not likely. So to conclude, you need evaluation but there is no need at all to worry about cancer. A course of antibiotic is likely to give you a relief. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards