Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I am taking amitriptiline (25mg) I am a 68 year old female,

I am taking amitriptiline (25mg) I am a 68 year old female, my gp said I could use Dulcolax for constipation last time I was taking amitriptiline, but on the instructions on the pack it says you should not use it regularly, is it safe to take on a semi-regular basis (as needed) whilst I am taking amitriptiline.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to this constipation. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .
Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant. Bisacodyl(dulcolax) is a stimulant laxative.
Amitriptiline (25mg) has no interaction with the laxative medication dulcolax.
You can take dulcolox tablet to treat your constipation while you are on Amitriptiline (25mg). It is safe to take & there is no drug interaction between these.
The instruction on the pack says that you should not use it regularly because if you use it daily,it can cause your body to experience an electrolyte imbalance.Further it can cause you to lose bowel tone & taking this can become habitual.
Fiber is one of the mainstays in the treatment of constipation.High-fiber foods include beans, whole grains and bran cereals, fresh fruits, and vegetables such as asparagus, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and carrots..You need:increase the quantity of fruits and vegetables as they contain lots of fiber.
So bot***** *****ne is that yes,you can take tablet Dulcolax(occasionally/semi-regular basis/when required) for constipation while you are on amitriptiline.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert