Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My Mother will be 84 in March. She has been suffering with

My Mother will be 84 in March.
She has been suffering with Shingles for approx 2.5 months.
She first had shingles when she was 10 years old.
Missed out on the injection due to her age but was never given the advice or option to pay.
She very rarely needs to visit her doctor.
She has had several different tablets from the doctor some not fully agreeing with her & making her feel worse.
The last tablets seem okay & she was also given cream.
She is now worried that she has a swollen abdomen & has been told that this is due to excess wind, she is not suffering with indigestion, can you please give me advise on her abdominal symptoms & also whether it is just a matter of time for the shingles pain to dissipate?
Liz
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Is she passing wind and stools?

Customer:

passing stools but no wind

Dr Uzair :

Okay, when did she last pass stool?

Customer:

this morning

Dr Uzair :

Alright, and since then she has not passed any wind?

Customer:

no

Dr Uzair :

And she has abdominal distention?

Customer:

yes

Dr Uzair :

Pain in the abdomen?

Customer:

only where her shingles are below her ribs

Dr Uzair :

Okay.

Dr Uzair :

What medication is she on?

Customer:

she cant remember the name of the tablets But the cream is capsicum pain,she is not at home at the moment

Dr Uzair :

Okay, if she is on an anti viral like Valacyclovir then the constipation can be explained as a side effect.

Customer:

She doesnt seem to have constipation

Dr Uzair :

If some one is passing stools and not wind, then it is not worrisome, it is worrisome if someone has progressive cessation of passing stools and then passing wind altogether, this is known as absolute constipation and that is a sign of intestinal obstruction.

Customer:

Could the abdominal distention be due to her having shingles?

Dr Uzair :

I would ask that you observe her for any signs of absolute constipation like total cessation of passing stools on her regular time, visceral abdominal pain which is rather insidious in onset unlike the sharp pain due to shingles, nausea/vomiting and tense distended abdomen.

Dr Uzair :

The abdominal distention can be due to many reasons at her age, we need to rule out the dangerous causes of abdominal distention so that nothing is missed.

Customer:

She says that she is not suffering from constipation, she has had that before

Dr Uzair :

There have been cases reported of abdominal distention with shingles and underlying pseudo obstruction of the intestines which usually warrants intervention. But that distention is generalized (involving the whole abdomen) and with tell tale symptoms of intestinal obstruction, like distention, nausea/vomiting, constipation and pain.

Dr Uzair :

In shingles, the side involved can show distention due to inflammation and swelling of the underlying musculature as well.

Dr Uzair :

The best course of action at this point in time will be to observe her for any danger signs, that I have mentioned and if any develop, a visit to her physician or the ER will be warranted to rule out acute abdomen.

Customer:

When i have looked at the swelling it appears that there is a separate layer of skintissue//muscle almost floating not a bloated type of swelling, difficult to describe

Dr Uzair :

I understand. How many days since she has had the swelling?

Customer:

1 week

Dr Uzair :

Okay. I do not think you have anything to worry about at this point in time, any of the acute abdomen conditions are not so shy in their presentation and usually manifest rather severely in 24 to 48 hours, this has been there for a week and there are no danger signs either, so watchful waiting will be my advice. However, there are somethings that I would like to add, if you mother is not on an anti viral, then you should discuss with her doctor to start one and if she is not on Gabapentin or Pregabalin (nerve membrane stabilizer) then she should be on one, these Nerve membrane stabilizers markedly reduce the pain caused by shingles. They work better than the cream she is using.

Customer:

thank you

Dr Uzair :

It was a pleasure.

Dr Uzair :

If you do not have any more queries, please do leave a positive rating for the service, a bonus will be appreciated.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.