Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am 51 year old woman and I suffer from anxiety, I had a mammogram

I am 51 year old woman and I suffer from anxiety, I had a mammogram a year ago and an ultrasound 6 months ago, ( v small cyst found ) I am trying to decide if I should have another mammogram now or wait 6 months/12months till I have the next, but the advice on line is conflicting. I think I am relatively low risk of breast cancer as I have breast fed all three children for 2 years each and I was on the pill for at least 10 years, and there is no history of any cancer in my family. Would it be safe to wait for another mammogram, or would you advise yearly screening ? In England the NHS only offer 3 yearly screening but I have health insurance so I can have one every year if advised. What would you advise please . Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--just for clarification the mammogram was clear? If so, why the ultrasound?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the mammogram was clear, the ultrasound was because i felt what turned out to be a very small cyst

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--with the newer guidelines you only need another screening mammogram three years after the last--no need for yearly screening