DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

there, have had digestive problems a decade now,

Hi there, have had digestive problems for over a decade now, with key symptom being pain in the upper abdomen, right side. In Nov 2013 was diagnosed with Helicobacter Pyllory, that got cleared recently but pain has not gone away but symptoms getting worse (nausea, heartburn, eructions, flatulence, constipation). Early this month was away in Mexico and had a bad turn, saw doctor, had exam done (Post Boyden) and result is that gall bladder only empities 22% (that is, it does not work properly anymore). Doctor in Mexico says only solution is surgical removal. Saw NHS consultant today who did not even bother to look at ultrasound of gall bladder. Instead told me to mind my diet and sent me for more exams, saying that it is the surgeons who will decide whether surgery is required. In the meantime, have to put up with pain and a very restricted diet. I'd like to see a doctor, not a consultant. Can you suggest other NHS clinics in London (I went to Homerton).
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
What treatment did you receive for the h pylori
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

About four different drugs to take over three weeks, which I undertook last summer

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
what type of clinic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was a NHS clinic in London, the treatment was given by my GP after the gastroenterologist referred me back to her, following gastroscopy

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Not quite sure what you are asking here
What part of the UK are you in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I am in London, what I want to know is whether you see a contradiction in diagnosis (e.g. the ultrasound text I had in Mexico shows a gallbladder that needs to be removed) whereas the NHS consultant I saw today disagrees and has referred me to further tests which will take months to organise. I was not aware that I'd have to pay for this service, I had followed a link to the NHS system

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
What is the second diagnosis, from the NHS consultant who referred you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The consultant I saw today simply said that he thinks that what I have is gallbladder dysfunction and went on to suggest that I should simply manage my diet. The diagnostics by the Dr in Mexico is that the gallbladder does not empty as much as it should (only 22%) and there is no other solution but to remove it. My bad cholesterol is also very high (6.6.) and has been for several years now and the Dr in Mexico suggested that this relates to the gallbladder not functioning, where the consultant today says that it is not related, not directly, that high cholesterol is not linked to a bad gall bladder. What I wanted to know is whether there is a way of speeding up this whole process of going to further exams and get the surgery done on the NHS in London in another clinic, can you suggest other gastroenterologist clinics in London that I can ask my GP to refer me to?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
Those are exactly the same diagnosis.
A gall bladder that does not empty is a gall bladder that is dysfuncitonal.
To actually confirm this, and to what degree you have the problem, requires a HIDA scan with a challenge test.
There is going to be no way to speed up the process with the NHS other than going private, but then you are paying out of pocket, that is faster, but very expensive.
In fact, your GP is correct, as surgery often does not relieve this problem. It can, but you can also have the same problem or worse after surgery.
Diet should be the first course, along with healthy lifestyle measures.
Here is an excellent GI clinic
http://www.thelondonclinic.co.uk/stomach-and-bowel/gastroenterology-and-endoscopy
However, this is not going to speed up getting the surgery...and I suspect you would get exactly the same recommendation, although, you might get further testing faster.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there, thank you for your reply. Now, what is your take on the high cholesterol levels then? Are they caused by a dysfunctional gall bladder or not? I am baffled about the issue of diet because throughout my life I've eaten little animal fat, not even much cheese or milk, and plenty of fruits and vegetables. I don't really understand how my bad cholesterol is so high when an obese friend eats a lot of fatty food and junk food and her cholesterol is excellent, she is about the same age as I and also Latin American. What does cause high cholesterol?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
Please don't forget a positive rating. I need those for my compensation with JA.
High cholesterol is not simply a function of the gallbladder problem. It is always a function of digestive process, diet, and genetics.
In fact, it is the liver that is more important in cholesterol proportions.
And many, many other processes.
Taking out your gallbladder is not a treatment for this.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.