Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My alc was slightly raised. The doctor said is satisfactory

Customer Question

My alc was slightly raised. The doctor said is satisfactory im 28 weeks pregnant what does this mean?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
What was the numeric lab result?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dont know they just said slightly raised but satisfactory. What does this mean?

It would depend upon the numeric result, but it most likely means that it was higher than normal but not yet in the diabetic range. When discussing Hgb A1c results, there is a normal range (<5.7%), but there can be a mild elevation that is not considered diabetes (5.7 - 6.4%), and a more significant elevation that is considered diabetes (≥6.5%).

When a doctor says that it is slightly raised but satisfactory, it probably meant that it was only elevated to a level of 5.7 or 5.8. However, sometimes doctors can use non-specific terms differently, so I cannot say with certainty that this is what was meant.

If you can learn the specific numeric result, then I would be able to provide a more specific comment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does it.mean im dying?

By no means. Even if it is more elevated, it would only mean that you have gestational diabetes, which would need to be treated. However, if only slightly elevated by satisfactory, it does not mean anything at the present, although your doctor will likely continue to monitor for possible development of diabetes during the remainder of your pregnancy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had a test for gestational diabetes a few weeks ago and was fine so dont understand. What actually is alc?

It measures the percentage of hemoglobin to which glucose has attached, so is a reflection of the overall blood sugar for the past few months.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So is it nothing to do with the liver? So theres no chance at all of dying of this?

No, it has nothing to do with the liver or any life threatening condition.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All my other tests were fine. I had kidneys, liver, sugar, blood count, anemia, blood pressure.

They were all ok. In google when you type in alc it comes up liver? What blood test would it have been?

Do you mean A1c or ALT?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Alc?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its alt sorry i think

Since you are uncertain, you can contact your doctor’s office to confirm the actual test and the numeric result.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its def alt what does this mean?

Although it would depend upon the actual result, it probably means that it is normal. For most labs, 5% of normal people will have a result that is slightly outside the normal range. So if your doctor says that the ALT is slightly elevated but satisfactory, then that would usually mean that it is outside the normal range, but at a level that is still normal.

If you can obtain the numeric result, then I can confirm that this is true in your case.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is this life threatening? Is it the liver?

Being normal is not life threatening. The ALT is a liver enzyme.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can this be because im pregnant? That its slightly raised but satusfactory

It will be slightly outside the normal range in 5% of people, whether they are pregnant or not, so it is not due to pregnancy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok could this be causing my spaciness problem?

Being normal would not cause any spaciness.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So it looks like thats defo down to anxiety then.. does it been liver is slightly damaged?

No, it is due to being normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If it was high tho would like indicate damaged liver? What would it do?

I cannot make additional comment without knowing the numeric result. We need to discuss the actual result, not any of the numerous possible results that can be present. I have addressed the comment made by your doctor, so cannot make any further comment until you learn the numeric result.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So if they said its satisfactory i dont have anything to worry about?

There is no reason to worry about being normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So i physically can not die?

Everyone can die. You might be in a car accident tomorrow. But being normal will not make you die.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yeh i understand that but i mean i physically cant die if tests are normal and of this spaciness?

We have already discussed the spaciness elsewhere.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know but i just wanted to be sure it wasnt linked to the alt at all. Is it a serious condition this alt problem?

There is no ALT problem, because being normal is not a problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But its not normal if its slightly high

Read my answer above again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just want to be certain i cant die from this espec with my anxiety being bad. I want to try and get myself on track

If you want to be certain, then contact your doctor and get the numeric result along with the normal range for this lab.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well they have told me its satisfactory do shouldnt this be ok?

I have already answered that and you do not seem to think that it is OK, so you need to get the numeric result.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its cause im anxious. I just want to know what it could do if really high. Please tell me and it will help me. I just want to get a clearer picture of what it is

If you want a clearer icture, then get the numeric result.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you opt out please so i can get my answer from someone please?

OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can someone please explain what it would mean if you have a high alt level?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you opt out please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can a expert please answer my question?

Your question has been reviewed by every expert that is currently online. Any expert that is familiar with your case will probably also not discuss a hypothetical scenario with you, because it will only feed your anxiety and be blown completely out of proportion, when it is likely unnecessary, since your lab is likely normal.

If you wait long enough, then an expert may be online that is not familiar with your history, so may address a hypothetical situation, but none of the experts that are currently online are apparently willing to do so.

If you can obtain your actual numeric result, then it will no longer be a hypothetical situation, and I and the other experts will give you an honest interpretation of the actual result. But any doctor that is familiar with your history and the severity of your anxiety will usually not be willing to address a hypothetical situation, and the fact that none of the experts that are currently online are willing to do so would support that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It will just givw me a better understanding of what it is. Its making me more anxious coz i dont understand this. Id just like a bit more info. Tried to ring docs but are now closed. Please just give a brief answer to try and put my mind at rest

But it will not put your mind at rest, because abnormal lab results can mean a wide variety of diseases of varying severity.

Call your doctor’s office tomorrow and we can discuss the actual situation, rather than creating more anxiety by discussing hypothetical situations that are likely untrue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So from what my doctor has said do you think theres nothing to worry about? Last question

Yes, that is correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

And im not going to die?

Everyone is going to die sooner or later, but nothing you have told me thus far would indicate any risk for death.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Level is just over 40? Does that make sense?

Yes, and that level is just barely outside the normal range in some labs. It is actually within the normal range in certain labs, including the lab at our hospital, but it must be just outside the normal range at this lab.

Since this is just outside the normal range, this would indicate that you are normal and for this lab you are in the 5% of normal people that have a result that is slightly outside the normal range. Since you are normal, there is no reason to be concerned about this numeric result, and all the comments noted above about the ALT apply. It also is clearly not at a level that would indicate any liver disease or any other condition that would adversely affect health in any way or pose any risk for death. You can now completely relax about this lab result.

Please remember to provide a positive rating, so that I am credited for assisting you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** other tests were fine to. Does that mean i physically cant die at this point? I feel so certain im going to die

As I said above, it can never be said that someone cannot die, as you may have a car accident tomorrow, but it certainly is true that there is no evidence of any medical condition that would cause you to die, including that you will not die from the symptoms that you are having.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yeh i just meant from a medical point of view. Would the tests ive had defo show up any major problems. Is there any other testd i need?

Either the tests or the physical exam would have detected any life threatening condition. There are no further tests that would be necessary.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So it must definitely be anxiety? I dont need a brain scan or anything?

Yes, it would be anxiety. A brain scan would only be indicated if there were any abnormal finding on the neurologic portion of the physical examination.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Which there wasnt so i defo havnt got any brain disease either?

Correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just finally how can i feel so so terrible and not be ill? The worst part for me is feeling so disconnected from everything. When people are with me i feel like they arnt really there.

We have already discussed this elsewhere.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know im just really scared what is happening to me

I understand that, but we have already discussed it. If you need to read the same information again for reassurance, then you can read our previous discussion again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok ill do that. You promise nothing will happen to me medically? Is it impossible with normal results

We have already discussed this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where is the answer to that question?

We have discussed this in several posts, including at www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/8vyi6-speaking-doctor-reason-wont-let-add.html