Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My wife is due to have her gall bladder removed. The surgeon

Customer Question

My wife is due to have her gall bladder removed. The surgeon has identified that she has anti e anti bodies in her blood and has reffered her to a haematologist.
What complications if can arise from surgery
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm not really sure why the referral in your wife's case. The anti e antibody might have some consequence were she to become pregnant as with fetal hemolytic anemia, but there would be no consequences for her surgery except in the very rare circumstance that she required a blood transfusion and even then there would be no problem as long as the transfused blood were properly matched to her blood
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Is there any more information you need about this Michael?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Our consultant had never come across this before is he being extra cautious ?

Her MRI scan revealed, although not conclusive, that she has a stone in her bile duct just at the narrow point before it joins the left and right hepatic ducts.

This must be removed before her bladder again does her blood type add complications or if the correct blood type is available would all be well should a transfusion be necessary.

Would a consultation with a haematologist help, we see this as unnecessary and a delaying tactic

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just being extra cautious. And no, this wouldn't complicate the removal of the stone. In my opinion there is no need for a haematologist consultation prior to the procedure or her surgery