Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Is Ureaplasma dangerous?

Customer Question

Is Ureaplasma dangerous?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--can you give me some more information please? Has this been cultured from somewhere and what are the patient's symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my wife went for a std test and it came back as "ureaplasma detected" she was clear of every other std. within the last 5 months I have met someone else and been engaged in a sexual relatioship with them. I have no symptons at all what else do you need to know?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. The mere detection of ureaplasma doesn't mean there's an actual infection but if there is it's easily treated with two weeks of doxycycline. You can get cultured yourself but without any symptoms I'm sure it will come back negative
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. What does "get cultured yourself" mean?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well by that I mean a urethral swab sent for culture but again without any symptoms it should not grow any organisms
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So am i right in thinking it is not a serious STD? Im sorry for all these questions but I am not sexually active. Other than my wife (soon to be ex) and my current partner

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's OK--any questions you have just ask. No it isn't serious at all and again I don't think you'd have a positive culture. If you did, two weeks of doxycycline is all it would take to eradicate it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So her results has said "ureaplasma species" detected. Does this change any advice. Do i need to get tested if I have no symptons? please confirm as my wife is freaking out. Thanks again

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That basically means colonization with the bacteria but no infection. I personally don't think you need testing but discuss that with your doctor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So what does that basically mean "colonization with the bacteria but no infection"

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
This particular bacteria isn't really an STD to start with when it does cause an infection but without any symptoms--burning on urination, vaginal discharge, etc., it just means that the bacteria are present without actually causing an infection