Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

, i have started running in the last three years. Not

Customer Question

Hello, i have started running in the last three years. Not every week or anything like that but i do a half Marathon every year and a few five and ten k races i am an active 42 year old male into walking in the country sides, hunting etc so my eight is good and i have a good level of fitness. The problem i have is when i run a half marathon distance by the time i hit the 10 or 11 mile stage i am in alot of pain in my hips so much so that i have to walk or hobble to the finish line. its a really bad burning pain and i am very sore to the point of tears. My gp told me once that i am slightly bow legged , would this be a cause? should i go to foot soulutions a shop where they would look at my run and fit me with speciel insoles. Any advice would be great. thank you . John Madden
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it is very possible that being bow legged can lead to hip symptoms. In fact, excessive angulation of the knee either inwards or outwards can place extra stress on the hips, which can be manifested as hip pain during times of increased stress on the joint, such as during long distance running.

As for management of the condition, orthotics, such as insoles, may be helpful in some cases, but people with more significant angulation will usually do better with bracing. More severe cases will need surgical intervention. Since orthotic insoles have not yet been tried, it would be fine to do so, but with the realization that bracing may be needed.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As i"m only slightly Bow legged do you think Bracing would still be nessesary ? I am also standing at work all the time and very rarely sitting down. Do you think i should have an x-ray on my hips first to see if there is damaged there before i go spending money on expencive footware

The more mild the bow leggedness, the less likely that bracing would be necessary.

If I were seeing you in my office, yes, I would typically perform x-rays before deciding on whether to consider orthotics or braces. However, if you wanted an option to consider without having to see your doctor, orthotics would be a reasonable option.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok Thank you

You are most welcome.