DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

six months I have been experiencing a bloated stomach,

Customer Question

For about six months I have been experiencing a bloated stomach, constipation and a gurgling sensation in my intestines. My stomach is so heavy sometimes that I have to hold it up and it feels as though it could explode. I have started to experience pressure headaches on the right side of my head in particular (I am not a headache sufferer and I rarely take painkillers of any sort.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
What exam have you had?
Tests and diagnosis?
What is your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

how old are you?

Dr. David :

you could be having bad food allergies or gluten sensitivity or allergy causing your bowel symptoms.

Dr. David :

when you say bloated stomach, do you mean bloated whole abdomen? is the bloating worse in the upper or lower abdomen?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am a 66 year old female

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
I see.

at your age, new bowel changes might need a colonoscopy for evaluation.

you should also have your stools checked for occult blood by your doctor .

you need to see your doctor right away and get stool testing and evaluation for possible colonoscopy.

you didn't answer my questions about where the bloating was worse, in the upper abdomen or lower abdomen.

have you had a colonoscopy before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the whole abdomen feels uncomfortable, but more pain on the left side. Yes, I have had a colonoscopy before - about 8 years ago. All clear.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Irritable bowel is a diagnosis of exclusion here, but very likely.
Diet is possible as well as a culprit.
Other bowel disease are possible but less like.
Please tell me your diet in detail.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
that is good.

more bloating on the left upper abdomen could be due to inflammation of the stomach organ from excessive stomach acid or H Pylori bacterial stomach infection

your doctor can test your blood or stools and check for H Pylori bacterial stomach infection.

you might benefit from a strong stomach acid blocking agent like nexium or protonix to help decrease stomach acid.

you should also get testing to check for gluten sensitivity or allergy .

you might need to go on a gluten free diet.

you should still be getting stool occult blood testing once a year to check your stools.

you might benefit from adding a probiotic to your diet or adding extra fiber and exercising to help your bowels.

you might also have irritable bowel syndrome and this can be treated with IBS medicaiton

does this information help?

do you have any other questions?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the rating.
If you will use reply to expert and tell me what you eat at each meal, I will critique that.