Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I'm a 65 year old female and get recurring tender lumps on

I'm a 65 year old female and get recurring tender lumps on my scalp which I can't help scratching! This is really getting me down. They don't seem to be connected to any changes in hair products - can diet or emotional state affect this?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Do these lumps form at the same place every time?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Customer:

They are pretty uniformly spread over my whole head,.

Dr Uzair :

Okay, are they scaly as well? And how long have you been getting them for?

Customer:

No, not scaly (though can't actually see them!). More like raised spots which become very tender.Have been getting them 3 -4 years, on and off.

Dr Uzair :

Alright, this seems very similar to scalp folliculitis which is an inflammatory reaction of the hair follicles of the scalp.

Dr Uzair :

There is a chance that this is Seborrhic dermatitis but those lesions are scaly and dry, no foul smelling discharge and they are not tender.

Customer:

What could be the trigger? And best treatment?

Dr Uzair :

Scalp folliculitis is usually bacterial or fungal in origin, so it needs to be treated simultaneously with anti fungal shampoos and topical antibiotic ointments.

Dr Uzair :

However, itch, you should start using an anti histamine like cetrizine twice a day or loratidine twice a day, both are OTC, so you can get one of them and start on them, so the itching is relieved.

Dr Uzair :

Mean while, I would suggest that you start using an anti fungal shampoo like Ketoconazole shampoo or ciclopirox shampoo on alternate days or once a day days.

Dr Uzair :

Topical antibiotics are usually Fuscidin ointment, which is of benefit bacteria that are most commonly the pathogens that cause this.

Dr Uzair :

That is to be applied twice a day on the lesions.

Dr Uzair :

If the symptoms don't seem to be going away in 10 days, you will need to see a dermatologist culture test to identify the pathogen involved and the antibiotic it is sensitive to. Sometimes, in stubborn lesions, oral antibiotics or anti fungals are required.

Dr Uzair :

The cause is not well understood. However, sweating and dirt have a role to play along with may be an autoimmune factor, but theories are disputed.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have more queries?

Customer:

It sounds like sweating could be key - I have quite a lot of hair! Am wondering if this could also cause facial spots, or is that just coincidence?

Dr Uzair :

What kind of facial spots?

Dr Uzair :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have more queries?

Customer:

Not really. I'd just like to break the vicious circle of inflammation, scratching and then more inflammation! Will try the products, thank you.

Dr Uzair :

Please do. I hope they help.

Dr Uzair :

Please leave a positive rating service.

Dr Uzair :

A bonus will be appreciated. Best wishes.