Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My 11 year old son has been vomiting throughout the night.

My 11 year old son has been vomiting throughout the night. This morning after eating a banana he was sick again. He is unable to keep down fluids or food. Is there any medication I can administer on an empty stomach?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

How many times has he vomited so far?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Customer:

Since around 03.00 this morning he has vomited 6 times

Dr Uzair :

Okay, any diarrhea?

Customer:

Two bouts but not serious amounts

Dr Uzair :

Okay, this seems like gastroenteritis, this is mostly viral.

Customer:

OK. How should I treat this?

Dr Uzair :

The important thing here is not to stop the vomiting or the diarrhea but to rehydrate him. Vomiting and diarrhea is usually a protective mechanism by which the body expels out the irritant or the pathogen that is causing the gastrointestinal tract infection.

Dr Uzair :

The only way to rehydrate someone effectively at home is through oral fluids, but he is unable to keep them in, so the best would be IV rehydration which can be done at an Urgent care or the ER.

Dr Uzair :

6 episodes of vomiting and 2 episodes of diarrhea are enough to cause moderate dehydration, which can easily progress to the severe form which is difficult to manage even in hospitals without admission.

Dr Uzair :

So, it will be best to take him to the A and E or the Urgent care re hydration through the intravenous route.

Dr Uzair :

vomiting you can give him dimenhydrinate or dramamine, comes in syrups as well as chewable tablet forms. But I would advise against that right now.

Customer:

OK. I will monitor his fluids over the next couple of hours. If there is another bout of vomiting I will visit A&E.

Dr Uzair :

Sure, that will be best.

Customer:

Dr Uzair :

If you do not have any more queries, please leave a positive rating service.

Dr Uzair :

My pleasure.

Customer:

Will do.