Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am seeing a gynaecologist as a scan has showed possibly polyps,

I am seeing a gynaecologist as a scan has showed possibly polyps, a cyst and a fibroid. I also had two infections - anaerobes and providencia stuartil. She asked me to go and have another urine test a week after the antibiotics and I have just been advised that I now have another infection and the lab test results show - Heavy growth of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. I have also been referred to a Urologist who wants to do a cystoscopy but this is also (from what I have read) is prone to causing infections so I am worried about having this, is there another test / option?
The lab test results show *7 white cells per uL (0-6) and red cells
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Your results show an invasive infection of the urinary tract already.

Dr Uzair :

Urinary tract infections secondary cytoscopy are only a complication that can occur in about 8.2 percent according to studies.

Dr Uzair :

But the benefit of the intervention is more than the risk it imposes.

Dr Uzair :

The risk to benefit ratio goes in favor of the cytoscopy at this point in time.

Customer: What diodes an invasive infection mean?
Customer: Does
Customer: What could cause or be responsible growth of pseudomonas are ueruginosa?
Dr Uzair :

Means an infection that has shown moderate to heavy growth on the culture tests, or the presence of more than

105 organisms per mL of urine.

Dr Uzair :

10(power)5

Dr Uzair :

105

Customer: The lab test results show *7 white cells per uL (0-6) and red cells what does this mean please?
Dr Uzair :

Pseudomonas aeroginosa is usually found in recurrent infections, hospitalized patients and immunocompromised patients.

Dr Uzair :

The urologist is going to find out what the cause of the colonization is in your case.

Customer: Meaning my immune system is low?
Dr Uzair :

The WBC test shows that there is presence of white blood cells in the urine which are responsible the body against pathogens, they should normally be less than <5 cells per uL of urine.

Dr Uzair :

When increased, this means that the urinary tract is infected.

Dr Uzair :

Q: Meaning my immune system is low?

A: Not necessarily, but there is a possibility.

Customer: and red cells <1 per uL (0-3) ?
Dr Uzair :

When there is blood (red cells) in the urine that also means that there is a UTI.

Customer: Does red blood cells actually mean there is some form of bleeding ? And what should a normal red blood cell count be or would this just not show?
Dr Uzair :

No, this does not mean there is bleeding. Bleeding shows in the urine as red colored urine and that is called frank hematuria. Red cells are microscopic and the test shows microscopic presence of red cells. So, this is not bleeding, just presence of occult blood or cells in the urine. And in your case, it shows that there are no red cells (that part of the report is normal).

Customer: Ok so showing *7 blood cells (if normal is 5) does this mean the infection is quite mild? I have only finished the previous antibiotics just under two weeks ago. I was very ill before Christmas with pain and bleeding and now think there is something seriously wrong and am starting to panic...
Customer: No one has requested a blood test yet, should this be a priority?
Dr Uzair :

The presence of number of white blood cells can indicate that the infection is presence but does not correlate with the severity of the infection, so I can not tell you if this is a mild infection, however, since your symptoms have gotten better, it can be said that the acute phase of the infection is over.

Dr Uzair :

No, there is no need particular blood test.

Dr Uzair :

You need to have the cystoscopy done as recommended by your Gynaecologist.

Customer:

well the urologist has suggested it but the gynaecologist has recommended I wait until I am totally infection free. But I haven't been since last October, so not sure what will happen. I have to have a repeat scan as they are not sure I have polyps and if the cyst on my ovary was a monthly cyst or something more. I have pain on a daily basis that has improved but the last few days have just got worse again. Feel very tired and sick. The doctor emailed me today to let me know about the new infection

Dr Uzair :

Alright, the doctor needs to start you on the antibiotic that was shown to be effective against the current pathogen i.e., pseudomonas aeroginosa. The report states that.

Customer:

Is there any connection between the latest infection and the last two the anaerobes and the providencia stuartil at all?

Dr Uzair :

It is difficult to say , because one needs a lot of insight in to the situation in order to make that kind of an assumption, but yes, there is a possibility.

Customer:

I know you can't give me a diagnosis but wondered if you are able to give me an example of what the urologist might be looking suspected causes type of UTI's?

Dr Uzair :

The urologist is looking colonies of bacteria in the urinary tract especially in the bladder and any signs of inflammation or aberrant anatomy that might be causing the recurrent infections. The urologist will also be looking and/or debris in the tract.

Dr Uzair :

During the cystoscopy, the urologist will also take small biopsy samples from suspicious areas which will be sent culture and histopathology.

Customer:

thank you. you said earlier that Pseudomonas aeroginosa is usually found in recurrent infections, can you tell me a bit more about this infection? I haven't been hospitalised but I know my immune system is quite low with everything that has been going on and just wondered if this could be a result of the previous infections or the antibitotics?

Dr Uzair :

Pseudomonas aeroginosa can be found as a normal flora in the skin of some individuals and can also be found in the environment mostly man made environments like pools etc. And people with low immunity can contract the infection due to a weak defense system.

Dr Uzair :

The reason there are recurrent infections in your case could be due to your low immune system not the other way around.

Dr Uzair :

Antibiotics can cause resistance in a particular species of organisms but their use does not dictate that a particular species should infect the urethra.

Customer:

I also have a suspected duplex left kidney, could this be responsible?

Dr Uzair :

Not likely, but possible.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have more queries?

Dr Uzair :

If you do not have more queries, please do leave a positive rating service

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Customer:

thank you