Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

i have had bad hip pain months now - I have osteoarthritis

i have had bad hip pain months now - I have osteoarthritis in many joints so assumed the same issue in my hip but the x ray was clear and showed no sign of arthritis
I have been having physio but this is not helping and the physio suspects some sort of impingement in the hip - would this shown on the xray
The pain, which is sometimes really severe and i am unable to bear any weight at all and makes me feel faint, is definitley coming from the hip joint
I have some wear and tear of lower spine also
I am not sure what to do next or were to turn to
I have had a weight problem years but had weight loss surgery and have lost 6 stone so things should be improving but they aren't !!!
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

First of all, would the impingement have shown on the x ray, the answer to this query is, no, it would not have. Nerve impingement is mostly a soft tissue phenomenon and soft tissues do not show on x rays.

Dr Uzair :

The symptoms you are having could be due to lower lumbosacral spine disc degeneration, which could be causing the nerve to get impinged between the foramina, from which they leave between the vertebrae.

Dr Uzair :

This type of pain and with your history can also be seen in patients who have sacroiliac joint issues - arthritis, degeneration, osteoporosis, impingement.

Dr Uzair :

All in all, at this point in time, the best course of action will be to see a Spine specialist, they can either be Neurosurgeons trained in spinal disorders or an orthopaedic surgeon with an interest in treating the spine. As well as a pain management doctor relief.

Dr Uzair :

An MRI of the lower spine and hip is warranted here as well to evaluate the source of the pain.

Dr Uzair :

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating service.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair :

Seems as if you are having a problem with the chat applet, I am also going to copy the same message to the Q and A thread, so you can view it.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hope this helps.
Best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

many thanks help

i need to get back to my gp and arrange scan, as you suggest

many thanks

Dawn

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.

It was my pleasure to help. Please leave a positive rating service provided. Best.