Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

time now I have suffered from disturbance in my heart rhythm I have had all the t

Customer Question

time now I have suffered from disturbance in my heart rhythm I have had all the tests usual problem ECG Holter monitoring seen heart specialist all to no avail they show up nothing wrong however the problem is still quite severe on occasions & is affecting my way of life. It seems to be connected to excess gas in my abdomen which always starts to make my heart jump about & palpitations which can last hour at a time very frightening & exhausting but once I have managed to bring up enough gas it all settles down again I was on Beta Blockers but they made no difference my doctor just doesn't seem to know what else to suggest apart from it being all in my mind & I know it isn't I am at my wits end to know how to end this misery after many years of suffering this problem any new light on this would be most appreciated. I am neither depressed nor suffering any more stress than is normal in this day & age.
regards
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

it sounds like we have to fix this excessive gas issue in the stomach first.

Dr. David :

have you tried strong stromach acid blocking agents like nexium or prilosex (omeprazole) to help decrease stomach acid?

Dr. David :

that could help decrease stomach gas.

Dr. David :

also simethicone can help decrease stomach gas.

JACUSTOMER-mhpap219- :

the only medication prescribed problem has been beta blockers I take windese tablets all the time with some success but I do not suffer any acid symptoms at all so no I have not taken any of these other tablets

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

the most common cause of excessive gas in the stomach is from excessive stomach acid production.

Dr. David :

I bet if you start taking some stomach acid blockers this could help the stomach gas and this could help you not have so often the abnormal heart rhythms.

Dr. David :

there are safe over the counter stomach acid neutralizers like malox or mylanta

Dr. David :

or antihistamine acid reducers like zantac or tagamet.

Dr. David :

and also proton pump acid reducers like prilosec which can help reduce stomach acid and stomach gas.

Dr. David :

also there is over the counter GasX which contains simethicone which can help decrease stomach gas.

Dr. David :

I would try these and see if they help reduce the frequency of these heart rhythms.

Dr. David :

are you willing to try these to see if they help?

JACUSTOMER-mhpap219- :

I am willing to try anything that will get my life back but I would also like to know WHY does this affect my heart if its my stomach that is the problem?

Dr. David :

the stomach is right below the diaphram and heart.

Dr. David :

so when the stomach gets distended or expanded, it can push upwards against the heart

Dr. David :

and pressure on the heart can sometimes cause abnormal heart rhythms.

JACUSTOMER-mhpap219- :

I see, is this a common problem because I have never know anyone else to get this or read about it anywhere can it be a danger to the heart ?

Dr. David :

it would not be a danger to the heart.

Dr. David :

it can be a common problem.

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions?

JACUSTOMER-mhpap219- :

No thank you I will try your suggestions

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below

Dr. David :

we only get credit clients after positive feedback.

Dr. David :

you might

Dr. David :

tha