Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

i have had a sharp pain in my thigh months but

Customer Question

i have had a sharp pain in my thigh months but it has got worse and im finding it hard to work
and walk
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
from JustAnswer.
Is this felt in the front of the thigh or the back of the thigh or both?
Have you tried any over the counter medicines to help with the pain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

front of my thigh yes ibruprofen

What dose and frequency of the ibuprofen have you taken?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

three times a day and 50mg

Thank you additional information.

The two most common causes of pain in the thigh are from musculoskeletal wear and tear causing inflammation or from a chronic muscle strain. There are several home interventions that can be tried to help ease this pain, including the local application of moist heat, such as with a moist heating pad or soaking in hot bath water, compression and support, such as with an elastic bandage, and the use of an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as the ibuprofen. I ask about the dose that has been taken because it may require a higher dose of the ibuprofen. The over the counter strength is 200 mg, rather than 50 mg, but if you are taking one over the counter pill three times daily, then it would be OK to double that dose and take 400 mg three times daily. Even that s not maximum dose, as there is a prescription strength of ibuprofen that is 800 mg that is also taken three times daily.

There are some less common causes of muscle pain that also should be considered, particularly if the pain is not readily relieved with the above interventions. It is possible to have pain in the thigh related to inflammation in a vein. It is also possible to develop muscle pain as a side effect to certain medicines, such as certain cholesterol lowering medicines.

So, the pain is most likely wear and tear or a chronic strain and it may respond to the above home interventions, but if the pain persists, it would be appropriate to be seen.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.