Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My partner‭ took our 10 month daughter to the gp as she

Customer Question

My partner‭ took our 10 month daughter to the gp as she noticed that she had no vaginal opening after changing a friends baby. We're in the UK.
The GP refered her and said that she would then have to go to the children's hospital and have an operation and be scanned reproductive organs.
This seems a bit extreme after researching this topic(fused labia) and has brought worry and anxiety to our family.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

yes, your daughter could have a fused labia which is very common, about 2% of babies.

Dr. David :

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/labial-fusion/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Dr. David :

she has been urinating ok into her diaper? that is one sign that her anatomy and bladder are fine.

Dr. David :

most likely the ultrasound scan of her inner organs will show little baby uterus and ovaries.

Dr. David :

you don't have to be worried

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David
:

you don't have to be worried

let me know if you have questions.