Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

1. My 22 month old baby will be travelling to Moscow to visit

Customer Question

1. My 22 month old baby will be travelling to Moscow to visit grandparents second week of February. I declined TB vaccination as they wanted to do this a 2 hours old. I now think it would be prudent to have this done but was hoping there is some sort of test that can be done first to see if there is a reaction. I remember mine and it wasn't pleasant.
2. Are there any other vaccinations I should consider Russian visit.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Babies arent vaccinated at 2 hours of age. You may mean vaccination B. No there is no test that is done to see if there is a reaction.

Dr. K. :

It would depend on the area you are visiting. Russia is a large country. You need to see a travel medicine clinic where you live but since you are leaving the second week of February it may already be too late. See your pediatrician first and get your baby updated on all the normal recommended vaccines. Then get a recommendation from a travel medicine clinic. Unfortunately since its so late you may not be able to get the required vaccines. They arent available through most general med clinics

Dr. K. :

Vaccines required travelers are measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine, varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, polio vaccine, and your yearly flu shot.

Dr. K. :

Hepatitis A is recommended as is hepatitis b

Dr. K. :

areas of russia and depending on your activities there, rabies and japanese encephalitis may be recommended.

Dr. K. :

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/child-adolescent.html

Dr. K. :

Heres a complete childs vaccine schedule

JACUSTOMER-aaw1zi5z- :

JACUSTOMER-aaw1zi5z- :

She is going to Moscow weeks,

JACUSTOMER-aaw1zi5z- :

The vaccine program is fairly new in London and they want to vaccinate all new borns before discharge. Is the TB vaccination the same as BCG I had at school when your arm swells up and scars (born 1963) I was hoping there was some sort of scratch test first to see if there is a reaction. She will be travelling on 14 Feb. Will she be covered immediately following the jab.

JACUSTOMER-aaw1zi5z- :

Dr. K. :

Its not a vaccine. Its a skin test

Dr. K. :

Its not the same as what you had and it wont leave a scar

Dr. K. :

Its a tiny amount of fluid injected under the skin. You go back two days later and they look and swelling. No babies ever get a scratch any more. Its a test, not a vaccine.

Dr. K. :

Maybe you are referring to a DTaP shot? Diphtheria tetanus acellular Pertussis.

Dr. K. :

She should have a series of that also.

Dr. K. :

Take her in to the Dr and they will catch her up with what she needs

Dr. K. :

At any rate, rest assured that if its a tb skin test, it will not leave a scar at all like you see on peoples backs or arms who had it done long ago