DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am 50 yrs old and have had serious depression yrs.I

Customer Question

I am 50 yrs old and have had serious depression yrs.I have been better the last 8 yrs thou it has got worse again over the last two.I have seen a phyciatrist to day 3rd time.I have probs with sleep sleepwalking eating during the night which was the main reason the gp referred me.I have been feeling more suicidal lately and told her how i have been feeling which was quite hard as am so good at puttting on a brave face.She told me that this was not the reason the gp reffered me and it was circumstance,she looked at my notes which said about the numerous anti depressants that hadnt worked many years ago.I have been on medication last 8 years which worked well until the last 2.I told her that at times i cant face going on.She told me she would see me 1 more time then discharge me which i said wasnt very safe.I feel i cant believe how i was treated,she also said there was nothing more they could do to help me with my sleep.Would like to know what another doctor thinks?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
.
What I think is that this is not acceptable treatment, as you have described it.
In fact, very poor treatment is my conclusion without knowing any more information.
What are your actual psychiatric dignoses? Usually it is not simply "depression". Have you ever looked at your medical diagnostic list?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have only been told a depressive disorder as my diagnosis,when it 1st started i took many different anti depressants that didnt work,and after alot of self harm and suicide attempts had 6 admissions to hosp.8 years ago i had twins and have been reasonably good,as im a carer as well as a mum.i decided i had to be honest today about how i was feeling,but she offered me no help at all,and only spoke of discharging me.i came home very upset

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
So to answer your first question, no , it is not appropriate.
I would suggest one possibility is to go to A and E and tell them exactly what is going on. They will want to contact this psychiatrist.
There are many newer anti depressants, and going might stimulate some actual therapy rather than the cold shoulder.
I suggest switching psychiatrists as well.
Let me know what you think and what further questions you have.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.