Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a diabetic type 1 years and am suffering with leg

I am a diabetic type 1 years and am suffering with leg pain and cramp 2 weeks now all the time should I be worried
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
from JustAnswer.

If the pain is persisting despite the Nurofen, then it would be appropriate to be seen evaluation. There are many different possible causes of leg pain and cramping, and some are more serious than others. If the pain is readily relieved by Nurofen or other over the counter medicines, then it would be evidence that a serious problem is not present. But with persistent pain, it would be appropriate to be seen.

The potential causes of leg pain that would be worrisome in this situation and are also more likely in someone with diabetes would include diminished blood supply into the legs, dysfunction of the nerves to the legs, or various electrolyte abnormalities, such as potassium or magnesium.

Leg pain and cramping is also very often not a serious condition, most often from wear and tear musculoskeletal changes, but it is appropriate to be seen to be certain that no serious condition is present.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The pain is consistence and is more in the back of my leg and I am having difficulty sleeping due to the pain I don't want to go to the doctors if it is not necessary

If the pain is relieved by Nurofen or other over the counter medicines, it would not be necessary to be seen, but it would be better to be seen if the pain is persistent to be certain that a serious condition is not present.

le, diabetes is the leading medical cause of amputation of the leg, because of poor blood supply. It is true that amputation typically is only done late in the disease process, but if there is a problem with poor blood supply, there is a better chance of avoiding amputation if there is appropriate treatment started sooner in the disease process.