Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My 18 year old daughter, vegeterian has been saying that she

My 18 year old daughter, vegeterian has been saying that she is always cold, sore and in pain. She is in university and I can,t see her. what should she do , improve her immune system or is she lacking in something.
Moya
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
from JustAnswer.

The first consideration is whether she is anaemic, and particularly whether she has iron deficiency causing anaemia. Young menstruating females are at risk of developing iron deficiency because of the menstruation. Since she is a vegetarian, she is not eating one of the best sources of iron in the diet - red meat - so she is at higher risk.

There are many other conditions that also could be present, both other causes of anaemia, such as folic acid or vitamin B12 deficiency, and other conditions that can cause these symptoms, such as thyroid disease. However, iron deficiency anaemia is the most common condition that would cause these symptoms in a young adult female, particularly if a vegetarian.

If she has not yet had any evaluation, it would be good to be checked and iron levels. Until she can be seen, there are certain vegetables that have better iron content than others, such as dark green leafy vegetables, asparagus, and mushrooms, and it would be reasonable to be eating more of the vegetables that have higher iron content.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.