Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

There I am on lisinopril 20mg tablet one per day, what

There
I am on lisinopril 20mg tablet one per day, what I want to know is, I have a boots blood pressure monitor, when I take a first reading I am 176/74, after 5 mins I take again and it is reading 152/74, then repeating again after 5 mins it is it is 145/74, then next time 138/74, is this normal, I have tried it with another machine so the machine is ok, I am male 74 years old, and on no other meds, I have no other medical conditions and in the main feel fine, any suggestions how the readings can fluctuate like that
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

, and thank you here with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

The two possibilities are (1) placement, and (2) how long you've sat and relaxed.

Dr. Charogat :

Because you've tried with two different machines I would guess that placement is not the issue in this case.

Dr. Charogat :

Once you've been sitting relaxed, and once you're taking deeper slow breaths etc. you can bring your blood pressure down.

Dr. Charogat :

Try sitting and reading or watching TV while (not a show that would get you excited at all) and while doing that you can try to take your blood pressure again. My guess is that you will see some improvement.

Dr. Charogat :

Also, people don't always realize how powerful the mind is. If you are about to take your pressure then you are going to be anxious (even if it is the tiniest amount) about what that first reading is going to be. Then you get the high reading you expect and that is somewhat upsetting. You try to relax yourself to take the second one and you see an improvement, then the same with the last time.

Dr. Charogat :

As your lowest blood pressure mentioned here is very close to the line of where we would start calling it high blood pressure, I might think of asking my personal doctor if s/he thinks that it is time I start taking a low dose of some blood pressure medication.

Dr. Charogat :

(Usually a beta blocker or hydrochlorothiazide are the ones prescribed)