Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My husband had a thyroidectomy in June 2014 and has since been

My husband had a thyroidectomy in June 2014 and has since been taking Levothyroxin, a beta blocker pressure and a tablet stomach ulcer. He has over the last week had a sickness and diahorrea bug, he was prescribed an anti-sickness pill and some dioralyte(?) powder to help with the runs. He is also type 1 diabetic. Although the sickness has stopped and the diahorrea improved, he is now quite breathless. When the doctor called on him, his blood pressure was ok, blood sugar a bit on the low side, temperature a bit raised, chest sounds ok. Just before the sickness etc started he had been to see the doctor blood tests etc and she had taken him off the beta blocker and put him on Olmasartin (?) which he had been having prior to his thyroid op. Could there be any connection between his symptoms and the stopping of the beta blocker suddenly? What could be causing his breathlessness? He does not suffer from this normally.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

there. Thank you question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Breathlessness could be due to the infection i.e. the diarrhea that he had, which is the most likely possibility even though it is settled now. It can take up to a couple of weeks energy levels to return back to normal.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I personally do not think that stopping a beta blocker has anything to do with his symptoms.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What was his latest TSH level?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Customer:

I don't know that, I'm afraid.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Ok, if he has not had his TSH levels or thyroid hormone levels checked in the past 6-8 weeks he should have those done.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Breathlessness and fatigue is something that can associated with deranged TSH or thyroid hormone levels.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So if his symptoms persist like this a thyroid hormone test is mandatory.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would also do a complete blood count as well.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Blood counts will give us an indication if any active infection is going on, if the white cell count is raised or low it may indicate an infeciton.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Also if the hemoglobin is low it can also cause breathlessness.

Customer:

I'm pretty sure that the blood test he had just prior to this would have been levels. We haven't heard anything from his gp or the hospital about changes to his dosage of levothyroxin so assume all ok at present.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

oh ok

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would still like that his tests should be repeated particularly if these tests were done a month or so back.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

With the diarrhea the absorption of medications can also be affected.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So the symptoms would most likely settle in a week or so time but I would still like to be safe and repeat tests.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you following me?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you there?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions

Customer:

Yes, I am. Thank you. He had been continuing to take his tablets as normal, in the morning. But then probably within an hour or so either threw them up or fired everything out the other end! Will it take a few more days levels to return to pre-illness readings? How long would you suggest we leave it before contacting our local gp again? I am reluctant to do this as they are already stretched.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes it can take up to a couple of weeks.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If symptoms continue even after this period of time then the GP should be contacted.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions?

Customer:

OK then. Thank you. I feel happier now! Probably just over-reacting! We went through a lot before his op, and it has made me anxious. It's the first time he's been ill since the op, so he has been lucky. Thank you help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest regards

Customer:

Yes, I will.

Dr. Shahzad MD :