Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

, past 2 weeks ive been experiencing pain in my forearms,

, past 2 weeks ive been experiencing pain in my forearms, knees, and now my hands. its hard to describe the pain, but it is usually only present few moments. im worried about the possibilities of leukemia. the pain is almost like someone putting presure on which ever part is hurting at the time. about 6 weeks ago i felt nausea few days, and it is still sometimes there after eating. i had blood tests done in september last year and they came back normal. i have no fever, high temperature, have not lost weight and stil have a healthy appetite. i do feel tired but i have had alot of interupted sleep for the last few weeks, and have also been sleeping on a small sofa. i have no unusual bruising or bleeding, no other feelings of being unwell. the pain in my arms is bilateral. does this seem like leukemia signs and also what else may cause this? many thanks
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

I am delighted that you have done your research about Leukemia and have done a very good job yourself at ruling it out.

Dr Uzair :

Pain in the upper limbs is not a sign of Leukemia while all the other signs you mentioned which you do not have are seen in Leukemia.

Dr Uzair :

Now, that we have ruled out leukemia, lets try to evaluate what might be causing the pain.

Dr Uzair :

Tell me, do you have any tingling or pins and needles in the hands or the arms?

Customer:

yes in my feet and hands

Dr Uzair :

Alright, so there is pins and needles sensation.

Customer:

yes

Dr Uzair :

One of the most common causes of pins and needles and pain in the upper limbs and lower limbs at your age is vitamin B deficiency.

Customer:

ok, this is possible my diet is not great

Dr Uzair :

There are other causes as well but they present with some other features which you don't have. These are hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, increased blood sugar levels.

Dr Uzair :

Sure, so there we have it.

Dr Uzair :

I would suggest that you get a vitamin B levels test to evaluate this and if there is a deficiency, you can start on vitamin B supplements to correct it.

Customer:

are you absolutly sure that it cant be leukemia

Dr Uzair :

It takes about 3 to 4 weeks on the supplements to alleviate the symptoms and replenish lost stores

Dr Uzair :

Well, since you have had normal lab results and there are virtually no symptoms of leukemia in you, this can not be Leukemia at all.

Customer:

would it have shown in blood tests 6 months ago?

Dr Uzair :

Yes, your blood tests would not have been normal.

Customer:

many thanks help.

Dr Uzair :

It was a pleasure.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating service.

Dr Uzair :

A bonus will be appreciated.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Customer:

yes i will. thanks again.