Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

suffered with Poly Myalgia Rhuematica - prescribed steroids

suffered with Poly Myalgia Rhuematica - prescribed steroids - worked well - relapsed last year - steroids not working - have osteoarthritis in hands and painful muscles heard of Finitro 40 are these available on NHS - am retired lady (steroids caused Type 2 - but taking Metformin and down from 7.6 to 6.3 - doctor happy
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

there. Thank you question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What symptoms are concering you the most currently?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Finitro actually is not available on NHS and the main reason is because there is no definitive evidence in the form of randomized controlled trials to support it tall claims.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So although it may have some minimal advantage in helping with pain of OA but there is no definitive evidence that it really does work.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Therefore, I would not recommend that you should be using this particular supplement.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Your blood glucose levels have been fantastic. So you should continue your good work there.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Also, with your pains, I would recommend that you should have your vitamin D levels tested. Quite often a low level of vitamin D can cause aches and pains that you are having and instead of steroids or in addition to steroids you may require a good dose of vitamin D3 in addition to calcium.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So I would look into that aspect as well.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would appreciate it if you rate me services by clicking on one of the smilies below.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you so far - at the last meeting with rheumatoligist she noted that my ESR levels continue to go up and down - around 45 - have had Kenalog injections in both wrists but unlike previous treatments this time it didn't work - so painful - - pain can move up arms into forearms and biceps - sometimes shoulders- try to walk when I can - but shopping can be exhausting - walked half a mile today and my calf muscles and buttocks ache like hell - sometimes use Tens machine - but I have a feeling though it is a pleasant sensation it just masks the pain. Am totally fed up and down with feeling like this - need my life back.

Was definitely told I did not have rheumatoid arthritis but may have osteoarthritis in my hands. - and she feels that this is an autoimmune problem....

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I am really sorry to learn that you are suffering so much because of the arthritis and the polymyalgia.
I personally think that you should maintain a with your rheumatologist and let him/her know that you want a vitamin D test done to make sure that is okay and provide treatment if it is on the lower side.
Osteoarthritis in the hands can be very disabling and I understand very well how you must be feeling. It is a tough situation.
However you should continue some mild pain medications such as paracetamol two 500 mg tablets, as required, to see if those help you with your symptoms.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

and so it goes on - tried paracetamol, ibuprofen, aspirin (though not together!) but no relief - as I said I had the injections on 17 December when I saw the Rhuematologist who said she was passing me to the pain clinic. All blood tests in the past have been OK - no problems there...

Its always a matter of waiting weeks to see someone

Have recent letter from her- no synovitis to detect clinically,negative isotopes, ct thorax, abdomen and pelvis with nil found - negative immunology no evidence of inflammatory arthropathy. Have also been prescribed Pregabalin, Gabapentin and amitriptyline all of which caused side effects (and just cannot function after taking them)

Perhaps I should call the Dr's secretary (as she suggested and get the pain clinic to get a move on) -

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Gosh, you have been through a lot. I really do feel .
I think that at this point the final option is to give you stronger pain medications to see if those help like co-codamol and other similar but stronger pain medications.
And yes, you certainly do need to see a pain medicine doctor pretty quickly.
Yes you should try calling the Dr's secretary to get an earlier appointment.
Let me know if you have more questions. I would appreciate it if you rate me services by clicking on one of the smiley faces below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry to go on and on - but forgot to say I have tried co-codamol - and they have the same side effects (my current joke is that after taking them I could paint the ceiling without the aid of stepladders - I'm on such a high) and simply cannot get on with everyday life (I am on my own now) Took them in the past following an operation - awful

Thanks very much -

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
It certainly is a very tricky situation particularly with the side effects that you are having to all these medications.
The final option I guess will be pain medicine doctor to offer a nerve block that can cause some pain relief.
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine