Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

. I am a 71 year old female, slim and in good health eating

. I am a 71 year old female, slim and in good health eating a healthy diet. Very active - working from 6a.m. -9p.m. often outdoors. On lowest dose possible of lisinapril and simvastatin and chloresterol. About 2 years ago I started experiencing a numbness in my fingers at night. Both of my parents had heart problems so I had my heart checked by my GP and was told my heart was fine. More recently I had a badly infected cat bite and was given a thorough check at the hospital, including an angiogram. Again all was fine. The discomfort in my fingers is now keeping me awake at night but disappears as soon as I get up. If I hang my arms out of the bed the pain goes away but I cannot sleep in this position. Can you give me an indication of what might be causing this please?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

So, which fingers are mostly affected, the thumb, index, middle and half of the ring, or the little and the half of the ring finger?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Customer:

Do you have my query to hand

Dr Uzair :

Yes I do.

Dr Uzair :

This seems like nerve compression neuropathy.

Dr Uzair :

If you can answer a few questions, I can try to localize this.

Dr Uzair :

Please tell me which fingers are involved?

Customer:

All fingers, both hands.

Dr Uzair :

Okay. Do you have any cold intolerance, weakness of the grip?

Customer:

No

Dr Uzair :

Alright, does the pain affect other parts of the upper limb above the wrist?

Customer:

no

Dr Uzair :

Okay. This seem like a carpal tunnel syndrome with a guyon's canal neuropathy.

Dr Uzair :

Both the ulnar and the median nerve are compressed at the level of the wrist.

Dr Uzair :

The symptoms you have are typical of them.

Customer:

Is this treatable and if so how please

Dr Uzair :

I would suggest a consultation with a Hand surgeon or a plastic surgeon specialized in hand surgery . A clinical examination, provocative tests (clinical) and electrodiagnositc work up including a nerve conduction study and electroencephalogram are in order.

Dr Uzair :

Yes, this is treatable.

Dr Uzair :

Depending on the severity, it can either be treated with splinting alone

Dr Uzair :

And in the other case a minor day care procedure of release done under local anesthesia.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have any other queries?

Customer:

Thank you. I do not understand why the pain only occurs when I am lying down and not when I am working during the day.

Dr Uzair :

This typically presents at night after a whole day of activity and provocation of the nerves, during work, there is distraction so symptoms are masked.

Dr Uzair :

At night, the pain presents because of the inactivity of the hand in resting position and the tunnels becoming tight due to relaxed tendons and lumbrical muscles and swelling of the nerve.