Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am in early menopause which started two years ago at forty

I am in early menopause which started two years ago at forty two. I have a strong family history of thyroid problem but my levels are just in the normal range. I have been back and forth to my dr who have given me most medications they can think of anti depressants, hrt (which I aopear unable to take due to the oestrogen weeks) and clonidine flushes. They now say I have fatigue. I feel like my life is passing me by I feel awful all the time but nothing I can label and absolutely exhausted every second of the day even on waking. I really am at my wits end. Would it be worth me seeing an edocronolgist privatly.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
from JustAnswer.
Do you have the numeric results of the thyroid blood tests that were just in the normal range?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I'm sorry the Dr didn't tell me but I think it was the t4
Well, the reason that I ask is that there has been some controversy over the years regarding the normal range of the primary tests disease, the TSH level. If you knew the actual values, I could comment upon whether the values are outside the normal range according to some definitions of the normal range or within the normal range according to all of the definitions.

Even without the actual values, though, I can say address your question about whether to see an Endocrinologist. There are a couple of good reasons to see an Endocrinologist. First, the Endocrinologist would be aware of the controversy noted above and can assess the thyroid blood tests from the perspective of the various definitions of the normal range, as well as decide whether further thyroid testing would be appropriate. The other reason would be to consider whether there are other endocrine causes of your symptoms, as there are some other problems that can present as fatigue, such as adrenal disease, parathyroid disease, as well as a manifestation of menopause.

So, yes, it would be reasonable to consult an Endocrinologist, and you can take a copy of the blood work that has already been done Endocrinologist to review.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.