DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

, I'm a 46yr old male who has worked in the poultry slaughter

Customer Question

,
I'm a 46yr old male who has worked in the poultry slaughter industry as an electrical/mechanical engineer employed to maintain and repair all machinery related to the process which very frequently led me to have to work in direct contact with equipment cover in chicken feacel matter. My question relates to the exposure and airborne ingestion of the said substances,I suffered from a massive pulmonary embolism in 2011 and again a reoccurrence in 2012 which then led to a Lifelong warfarin prescription to combat the condition,there was no trace of DVT as a cause of the PE and numerous scan and tests done to try and identify the probable cause,however nothing definitive was found other that an very high D-dimer level and it was suggested at the time of consultation that this could have been due to exposure to rodent droppings!. Thus I want to know if the prolonged frequent physical contact with chicken feacel matter may also be a contributing factor!
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

No
This did not contribute to PE.
Lung scarring and interstitial lung disease would be a consequence of exposures, not PE.
You should , of course, be working with a pulmonologist and a hematologist as to blood clotting in the lung.
I am assuming of course that you have had high resolution CT scans of the lung
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.