Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I need to taper off both alcohol and valium - help!

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I think so. I've been taking around 60mg of diazepam a day 8 weeks, which I'm very keen to taper down to nothing. I've also been drinking about 8 units of alcohol a day (beer). I realise that the valium intake in particular is very high, but my plan is to cut the beer first, one can every day or so, and then deal with the valium by cutting it by 5mg every three or four days, until this is at nothing.
8 weeks ago I was a normal healthy person who didn't take drugs and only occasionally drank. I then had an illness which left me very low and depressed, hence the drug use.
I have read that simultaneous withdrawal from alcohol and valium can be dangerous, so I would like to ask you if you think my plan is safe.
I'm sorry you are in such a bad spot Jane
I completely agree with this plan
cut off alcohol first then wean down the diazepam slowly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you affirmation! I'm quite a strong person, and now a little bit scared, so I'm very grateful reassurance that I can get through this.
All the best,
Jane
you're welcome
please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've just taken a week off work as holiday, but how do I get my energy back? I find it hard to maintain my own personal hygiene at the moment, let alone keep my flat clean. Will this come back as I recover? I'm also taking vitamin and mineral supplements along with electrolytes, but am having real trouble sleeping. Any suggestions?
Yes, this will absolutely come back over time.
you didn't get this bad overnight so it won't come back overnight
be patient
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The beer I drank yesterday caused me to be sick in the night and get very little sleep. Am I safe to just discontinue it? I don't even like it much, and was sort of chugging it as a "medicine". I feel ok know having drunk some tea and taken vitamins and electrolytes. I'm going to try to sleep now. Will the valium prevent any serious withdrawal?
yes valium will prevent withdrawal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks advice ­čśÇ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks advice ­čśÇ
keep in touch
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)