Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 6 weeks pregnant and have been experiencing brown discharge

Customer Question

I am 6 weeks pregnant and have been experiencing brown discharge full days just when I wipe and now these last 2 days have been a darker and thicker maroon red colour and I have been feeling some little cramps in my lower stomach on and off days. It's been 11 full days with constant liquid flowing, I am just concerned it may be having a miscarriage and am unsure what to do as I am going on holiday and have to catch a flight tonight. I just want some answers. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
from JustAnswer.

It is natural to be concerned about the possibility of a miscarriage with these symptoms. However, it is also possible that this could be related to an infection. It would typically require a proper evaluation to determine if an infection is present.

When you talked with the doctors, was there any discussion of arranging proper evaluation, such as being seen in a clinic?
I have not heard back from the request information.

As I noted above, it is possible that this could be a miscarriage, but it is also possible that this could be due to an infection. It is impossible to determine if there is an infection based solely on symptoms, which is why it typically would require a proper evaluation. If it is an infection, it also would be better to be started on antibiotics before you go on holiday. It also may be unwise to go on holiday if it is an early miscarriage. Consequently, it would be better to be seen prior to going on holiday.

It would be fine to be seen in an after hours clinic, but it is unclear whether there was any discussion about being seen when you contacted the doctors.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.