Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have recently found a lump in my soft palate, approximately

I have recently found a lump in my soft palate, approximately 2 weeks ago. It is painless, slightly swollen when you look inside my mouth. I haven't eaten anything hot or had any changes in my diet. I also was made aware 12 months ago in a routine check up at my dentist that I have white patches (2) on the inside of my cheek, lukoplakia or something like that they said it was called. Can the two things be connected?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Hasan :

, Thanks question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Do you have any lymph nodes in your neck?

Dr. Hasan :

Is the overlying mucosa on that lump normal and smooth?

Dr. Hasan :

Is the lump hard or soft?

Dr. Hasan :

I am an ENT and head and neck surgeon and it's my speciality to deal with these lesions.

Customer: No I've no lumps in neck, no mucosa present, all appears red, smooth but you can see the line between the soft and hard palate. lump is hard
Dr. Hasan :

You have discovered this just 2 weeks ago?

Dr. Hasan :

Has it increased or decreased in size so far?

Customer: Yes just over 2 weeks now, I did have bout of cold/ flu. I'm not sure if it was there prior to that illness
Customer: No stayed the same
Customer: The steriods are called beta methadone 500 mg
Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Dr. Hasan :

As per your description there are few possibilities.

Dr. Hasan :

It can be a mucus retention cyst (salivary gland cyst)

Dr. Hasan :

It can be a benign tumour called pleomorphic adenoma.

Dr. Hasan :

It is quite common in soft palate.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes it can be connected to the leukoplakia and can be cancer as well.

Dr. Hasan :

But cancer is least likely

Dr. Hasan :

In my opinion it is not likely to be cancer because of its smooth surface and usually at soft palate cancer present as an ulcer rather than lump

Dr. Hasan :

Lumps at soft palate are usually cysts or benign pleomorphic adenoma.

Dr. Hasan :

Steroids are not going to help you with this problem.

Dr. Hasan :

You need to see an ENT specialist and needs to get this removed

Dr. Hasan :

It should be checked and only then you can get the diagnosis.

Customer: Thanks information, I was just going to ask if I should push referral. I will make an appointment to go back to GP in morning.
Dr. Hasan :

Yes you should push referral but there is nothing to be stressed.

Dr. Hasan :

My best wishes are with you.

Customer: And they can check the leukoplakia whilst there too.
Dr. Hasan :

Yes they can

Dr. Hasan :

ENT is the best person .

Customer: Thank you support
Dr. Hasan :

GP can't help you with this.

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question please?

Customer: I will ask referral to ent or maxilla facial.
Dr. Hasan :

No go .

Dr. Hasan :

Maxillofacial is not best .

Customer: No im just pleased to here that there are a few options it could be,
Dr. Hasan :

Yes and I assure you that at your age and as per description of lesion, cancer is last option and chances only less than 5%

Customer: right ok, thanks again. I will be assertive at gp's and ask .... Many thanks once again.
Dr. Hasan :

You are always welcome. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer: Totally pleased with your response and sensitive approach. I'll be back if need be thank you
Dr. Hasan :

I will be here to assist you. My best wishes and prayers will always follow you :)

Dr. Hasan :

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery