Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

, I found a lump on my neck the other week. It is painless

,
I found a lump on my neck the other week. It is painless but moves about and isnt big. The Dr says its a lymph node and did a blood test, it came back fine except my platelets are low. I am almost 8 weeks pregnant so she said this could be normal and took 2 more tests. They also came back low but apparently my blood clotting is fine!! I thought that platelets were to do with blood clotting. It was the midwife I saw today and when I asked her why are my platelets low but clotting fine she said she didnt know and would have to ask a dr. It is terrifying me because I have this lump and now unexplained low platelets. Can it happen normally in pregnancy that platelets are low but clotting fine? The wait is badly stressing me out. I am 30 years old and I already have a 1 year old daughter. It is ruining my time with her and I am now worried is stressing me out in early pregnancy which isnt good. Please can you give me your opinion on this? Many thanks. Natalie
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Dr Uzair :

. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Platelets are associated with clotting more so with the bleeding time and clotting time, but there are other factors that have a major role to play. Platelets just start the clotting process by forming a platelet plug. Normally, platelets range from 150 to 400 x 10*9

Dr Uzair :

But a person does not develop clotting abnormalities till they are less than 50.

Customer:

Ok so what if my clotting is fine? Why could my platelets still be low?

Dr Uzair :

It depends on how low your platelets are.

Dr Uzair :

It is only considered worth investigating when the platelets are lower than 50.

Dr Uzair :

There are many causes of low platelets and a detailed evaluation process is required to pin point the exact cause.

Customer:

Well I heard the midwife say 48 but surely I would have been kept in if they were that low

Dr Uzair :

Yes.

Customer:

Do you think the neck lump and the low platelets are connected or are the platelets more likely to do with the pregnancy. Im worried about things like lymphoma or other cancer. This is what Im wanting to rule out.

Dr Uzair :

In lymphoma and other cancers, a solitary lymph node will not be the presentation.

Dr Uzair :

Low platelets are not seen in pregnancy.

Customer:

Thanks but sorry the dr and midwife said that low platelets are common in pregnancy, my sister had it during pregnancy too.

Dr Uzair :

Well, there can be dilutional thrombocytopenia. But 48? No, not at all.

Dr Uzair :

In gestational or pregnancy induced thrombocytopenia, the count should not go below 100.

Customer:

Ah ok, you mean that low a number of platelets. Ok, well if that is all you can tell me then thank you. I guess I will just have to wait to see what my dr says.

Dr Uzair :

Unfortunately, sitting behind the screen I can only give you information and not diagnose the nature of the disease. I would again like to say, that in pregnancy induced thrombocytopenia, the platelet count should not go below a 100 x 10*9. If yours has or if the mid wife is right that it is 48 x 10*9, you should discuss this with your doctor.

Customer:

I will, thank you.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.