Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

, I am writing the following as I am facing a bit of

Customer Question

,
I am writing the following as I am facing a bit of a dilemma:
I have male baldness pattern, am 24 and this has been happening years, and is pretty strong. I started taking propecia and minoxidil after going to hair clinic in London.This almost fully restaured hair to my original state, thick and plenty. However after 3 to 4 months of uninterrupted propecia it seems to affect erections, desire, ect... I keep telling myself it is psychological, but I am not sure it is. I reached the point where penis seemed dissociated from brain. I could do nothing with it. Even texture of penis started to change: it became 'condensed', rubbery, not eaching full erection, 'shrinked' and Just unresponsive, like paralyzed. Quit propecia, back to normal and more. No problem at all. After a month, start losing my hair very quickly. Bald patch appearing on crown and temples. Back on propecia again, but can feel the loss of desire after a week. I am convinced Propecia is not good deep down. But I don't want to lose my hair ! What can I possibly do ? In your opinion is Propecia really bad or safe? Manufacturers say 2% suffer erectile dysfunction. I have no great confidence in anything labs say. In my case the two people I know who took it long time had to stop it as it was delaying their ejaculations and decreasing their sex drive.
Thank you time and consideration.
I look forward to receiving your answer.
Adrien.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
. Before we begin, I assume the Propecia and Minoxidil were prescribed from a physician at the hair loss clinic? And have you discussed the erection problem with him and had things like your testosterone levels checked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

, no I have not discussed it with them yet. Planning to schedule an appointment soon . Do you think DHT is very important functions or is it actually safe to use Propecia in general ? I also hear that Propecia is good enlarged prostate..

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well testosterone and DHT are important but not specifically . And the best protection against an enlarged prostate and actually against prostate cancer is frequent ejaculations--either sexually or through masturbation. And long term propecia use has been linked to significant erectile dysfunction and libido problems. Talk to the doctor about all this and let me know what he says but a better consideration , in my mind, would be a hair transplant rather than long term propecia