Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had an appendicitis operation five days ago, since then I

Customer Question

I had an appendicitis operation five days ago, since then I have being feeling pains in my back, also in the left side of my stomach. I have also being coughing out blood. I also coughed out yellow substance the first two days after the operation when I drank water. I feel so tired at night and was given oxygen in order to breath in the first three days after the operation. I still have difficulty breathing. . I also have shortness of breath and feel pains when I lie down . Please help me and advice me on what to do
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Since the oxygen was only provide first three nights, does that mean that the shortness of breath is getting better?
Did you doctor provide any medicines shortness of breath and cough?
, are you taking any antibiotics?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No antibiotics, I have being coughing out thick black blood. Left side pain and breathing issues
Thank you additional information.

The primary concern when someone that had an abdominal surgery is having persistent shortness of breath and cough productive of yellow sputum and blood is that there has been development of an infection in the chest, such as pneumonia. It is not a unique issue appendectomy, but can occur with any abdominal surgery.

first day or two after surgery, there can be lung symptoms related to collapse of a portion of the lung, called atelectasis, but when the lung symptoms are persistent 5 days after surgery, it is more of a concern that an infection has developed.

There are also some other less common causes that could be present, such as a blood clot in the lung, but in an otherwise healthy young adult, this is unlikely, so the primary concern would be a pneumonia.

At this point, it would be appropriate to perform further evaluation to assess presence of pneumonia and consideration of the use of an antibiotic. Therefore, it would be appropriate to contact the surgeon that did the appendectomy and relay the symptoms. If you are having severe shortness of breath, it would be better to be seen urgently, and at a hospital if not able to be seen quickly by your surgeon. Otherwise, you can contact the office once it opens.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.