Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have recently been diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia

Customer Question

I have recently been diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia hemoglobin 81 / 100. This comes and goes. I have had a rash which looks like cat scratches. I have had this a year and recently it has got worse. It is mainly on my legs and arms. I also have bone pain in my right elbow bone and this had developed in the last month. My gp has fast tracked me to the hospital. My bowel habits can be erratic sometimes soft and sometimes hard. I get breathless with exertion and can sweat at night. What can this be?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

there. Thank you question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is your age and gender?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any other medical problems?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you on any medications currently?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you had any tests other than the complete blood counts?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please answer the questions that I have posted above so that I may be able to help you out in a better way.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please use the textbox to type and reply button.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

JACUSTOMER-6z8xne57- :

I had a full blood test so know I don't have diabetes. I also have been tested and don't have it. I have a hernia below rib cage. I have osteoporosis arthritis

JACUSTOMER-6z8xne57- :

2 replacement hips 2006 and 2008

Dr. Shahzad MD :

ok

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is your age and gender?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

JACUSTOMER-6z8xne57- :

I take 1 mepidec once a day. I had gall stones in bile duct 2 years ago but wouldn't have gall bladder removed because too many people end up with infections. I stay on a low fat diet and have not had problems since. Last year I had anice mri scan which showed nothing and had a colons copy and endoscopy 4 years ago. They are going to repeat the endoscopy and had a chest xray awaiting results because I coughed up blood at Christmas. I am nearly 63 and female.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

The coughing up of blood is something important and may be a clue to your low iron.

Additionally, I also think that reduced absorption of iron may be something that needs to be considered because your bowels are not normal as you say.

I would also like that the colonoscopy and endoscopy should be repeated but only after other noninvasive tests prove inconclusive.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me services when you are done asking.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What about the itching. What can this be? Do you think it can be connected?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a picture of the rash that you can attach here?