Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

, I have had several blood tests and scans over the past

, I have had several blood tests and scans over the past year to determine the cause of my periods stopping. I haven't had a period years now and am 36 years old. PCOS and early menopause have been discounted.
Recently, however I realised that I could tick almost every single symptom of underactive thyroid: exhaustion and wanting to sleep all the time, feeling depressed (both very out of character, I'm a personal trainer, very fit and active and love my life!), slow thinking, even my eyebrows stopping growing halfway!
But thyroid has never been mentioned in relation to my blood tests.
I wonder whether doctors would recommend trying Thyroxine to see if it alleviated my symptoms?
Thanks, Emma
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
,
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
Do you know weather or not thyroid was tested in your blood tests?
Are you gaining weight?
Do you have any other known medical illness?
I am waiting reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I assume that thyroid was tested, as it is my hormones that have been under scrutiny.

I have gained weight, some deliberately, as my profession and lifestyle means my body fat is quite low and I wanted to rule this out as a cause, but yes my weight has been creeping up despite my activity levels and good nutrition (although only be a couple of kilos).

No, I don't have any other illnesses...

Dear customer,
Thank you quick additional info.
Yes,the symptoms of stopping of periods you are having since last 2 years is most probably because of hypothyroid.Yes all your symptoms-gaining weight,exhaustion,depression,feeling of sleepiness,eye brow issues directs towards thyroid hormone dysfunction.
Hypothyroid is one of the most common causes of irregular periods or secondary amenorrhea(stopping of periods).
Hypothyroidism is a condition characterized by abnormally low thyroid hormone production.Here thyroid gland doesn't produce enough of certain important hormones.
Diagnosis of hypothyroidism is based on your symptoms and the results of blood tests that measure the level of TSH and sometimes the level of the thyroid hormone thyroxine. A low level of thyroxine and high level of TSH indicate an underactive thyroid.
Other less probable causes of stopping of periods are:stress,being overweight or underweight,imbalance of hormones,estrogen dominance,uterine abnormalities (fibroids/cysts/polyps/endometriosis).
To see the function of thyroid gland,you need thyroid function tests(TFT).They are blood tests that check how well the thyroid gland is working.It includes:Serum T3,serum T4,TSH(thyroid stimulating hormone),free thyroxine and thyroid scan may be required.
So I strongly advice you to make an appointment with your endocrinologist (thyroid function tests) & then treat accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert