Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

how long does a gout attack last in a finger/knuckles on one

Customer Question

how long does a gout attack last in a finger/knuckles on one hand and how can you differentiate between this and an infection ?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
,
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to gout attack in fingers/knuckles.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
The painful attacks of gout may last week.The average gout attack lasts from 3 to 10 days. But the average finger/knuckles attack will probably last much longer.
Some attacks last only hours, while others go on long as several weeks. Though symptoms can subside, the crystals are still present and future attacks are likely to occur.
A flare of gout is characterized by pain, redness, swelling, and warmth lasting days to weeks.
It is difficult to tell apart a sudden gout attack from an infection.To confirm or rule out infection, the fluid needs to be processed stain and culture.
If you are also running a fever, you may have an infection.
Other tests that can differentiate an infection & gout are:serum uric acid level,synovial fluid analysis,WBC count.
Treatment will be done accordingly.
So bot***** *****ne is that a gout attack in a finger/knuckles on one hand can last from 7-14 days.
And to differntiate gout with infection symptoms like fever & tests like serum uric acid level,synovial fluid analysis,WBC count are done.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have had the pain 3 weeks now and the middle finger looks like that of a corpse and the pain is tracking down through my palm,should i try antibiotics anyway ?

Dear customer,
Thank you back.
As you are having the pain 3 weeks now and you said that the middle finger looks like that of a corpse,I would advise you to consult your doctor examination.
Tests will be advised:serum uric acid level & WBC count.
If a bacterial infection is confirmed,only then you will be prescribed with antibiotics.
If an infection is suspected,treatment should be started ASAP.If you are unable to consult doctor and have the antibiotics available,then yes,you can take in the prescribed dosage.
So my best advise is to get examined by your doctor & then take the treatment accordingly.
Hope this helped.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert