Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I was prescribed Omeprazole 20mg on Friday, one a day, and

I was prescribed Omeprazole 20mg on Friday, one a day, and started taking them on Saturday. Since then, the tip of my tongue has felt sensitive, as if it's been burnt! Is this a side effect of the medication? I see in the leaflet that came with the tablets that mouth ulcers or swelling of the tongue; however, this is just more of a strange sensation and it's not swollen. I know it's quite trivial, but it's quite irritating and I just wondered if it was a side effect, and if so, if it would last 28 days I have been prescribed the medication for.
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
,
Hypersensitivity of the tongue can be due to the medicine BUT I would rule out few other causes before putting it on Omeprazole. Inflammation or infection/ allergy/ vitamin deficiency or reflux disease need to be ruled out. Inflammation from surrounding gums, teeth, sinus cavity can spread to tongue making it sensitive. These need to be looked.
As of now - Continue the medicine. Glass of cold milk does sooth the stomach mucosa relieving excess acid production and hence reflux. Avoid alcohol, smoking or spicy food. Benadryl, Ibuprofen may help relieve allergy or inflammation component.
Wish you well.
Best