dr prabir kumar das
dr prabir kumar das, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD
15221770

Dr Chip, I wanted to ask you again as you were so wonderful

Customer Question

Hi Dr Chip, I wanted to ask you again as you were so wonderful last time. Basically, I improved, the symptoms lessened, though not to the degree that I felt cured of them. I then had the flu and a curious thing happened in that the breathlessness/air hunger, tight chest/back pain, tinnitus and sore throat all reduced to such a degree, I thought it was finally over. Then 2 weeks after the flu, my body started producing too much mucus again and all symptoms returned. What's your advice?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--have you seen your doctor about this recently?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not yet but as they have a habit of blaming my chronic condition or claiming it is allergy, it's not worth the huge amount they charge to visit them without asking your advice first. One thing that seems to be much worse is the pain. It's almost like it's in between the ribs but on chest and back. Like they are too tight, or the muscles are, or perhaps there is myofascial knots or something going on as it feels incredibly tight but also the sharp, shooting pains are in different places. I'd really like your advice, esp. on how to manage and/or lessen it. I agree with what you said before about there being more than one thing going on but concerned that this level of pain and the ongoing shortness of breath. The symptoms returned after a v nasty bout of flu but not immediately. Could the mucus be causing the pain? Or something in the fascia or muscles? Thank you ever so much.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Joa--what was the bout of flu like?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Awful. Worst case I've had I think! I was sick constantly for 24 hours then had a fever/temperature and it lasted 10 days. Then felt curiously well, with even the other symptoms far less. The pain was back to 'normal' pain, as opposed to this different quality of pain and no longer so severe. The breathing was better, even the tinnitus far less but since returning it seems to be getting worse v quickly. Also, my nails started growing again briefly when feeling better but have now returned to being brittle and thin, which also started when all these symptoms did in Oct 2013. It's been ever since then that the breathing became a little short but had a few 'episodes' where I almost went to the emergency, as I couldn't catch my breath and was so dizzy. The lumps of white mucus that I coughed up before is also back. Just want to feel a little better. Thanks lots for your help.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Joa--so what exactly is your question now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What is causing these symptoms and how to heal them.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Which symptoms specifically Joa?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They're all detailed above.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand but we've somewhat talked about all that before. Are you asking mostly about the breathing and the mucus problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh can you not see the previous q's above? It started after an infection, first the tinnitus, which we've established as ET blockage but since then, and increasingly since, the body's production of mucus is so excessive. The nose needs to be blown frequently or blocks, not as completely as before the neti but within 20 minutes. The pain in my chest and back, which is intense and sharp but with a more general bruised pain. I am taking an additional 10-20 mg of oxycodone to cope with this. The sore throat too but most concerned about the shortness of breath. After the most innocuous task I can't catch it and heart races too. I feel dizzy, also every time I stand but maybe low blood sugar or BP, worsened by the options perhaps. The bebreathing and pain where it is worries me but what reasons would the body have to over produce so much mucus? It feels a bit like it's stuck inside my throat a few times a day, but then comes up. It's thick and usually white. The other less solid, is brown or yellow and I often get things come down or up tarrather into my mout, which is also obviously not pleasant! The tinnitus won't lessen and is louder enough in the left ear to cause hearing loss /difficulties on that side, more recently have it but less in the right ear. The heart pupitations only happen after exertion but not much exertion. Could the back also be mucus causing the pain? Worsening it? I'm longing to heal these symptoms. Thanks in.advance.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay Joa--have you had the mucus thing evaluated lately?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not since Dec but as I said, it lessened a great deal post flu but returned around 2 weeks after that.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--have you tried anything like mucinex?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No but is that OTC? I would like to know the cause, not just how to treat the symptoms. Why is my body producing so much mucus? Thx v much.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. Has the mucus been cultured?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I'm not sure what you mean by that! Can you tell me what could cause these symptoms? What conditions create a bruised feeling around the chest and upper back? Or the additional sharp, shooting pains? Why the body would produce so much mucus and secretions? TY v much.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
By culture I mean a sample of the mucus is sent to the lab to see what bacteria are in it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you answer my Qs, or do you need them put in a new Q to reply?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It's not that I don't want to answer your questions Joa but we've discussed this before. I don't think the mucus production is related to your pain. When was the last time you saw your doctor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You've already asked me that but as your earlier diagnosis/discussion hasn't resolved the symptoms, I am asking what it could be. If you are only interested in the mucus and not the other symptoms, I'll ask a doctor who can help.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Let me opt out and see if another expert can help you
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still need an answer and solution, thanks Shantal. So yes, if a Dr could answer that would help.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Obviously I need an answer. I thought that's what this website offered. Perhaps I should start again given how much time Dr Chip wasted by his one word replies, pain he caused by that too. Is it not urgent having shortness of breath, chest and back pain, wheezing etc.? Really disappointed by this service.

Expert:  dr prabir kumar das replied 2 years ago.
From your description it is evident that you are having with respiratory tract infection mostly by virus .As you described the symptoms are like
respiratory distress, tightness of chest, wheeze etc are all in fovour of asthmatic bronchitis.It means you are already with some degree of asthma like condition which is flared up occasionally with some secondary infection.
In this situation the perfect management is to have a good antibiotic along with a bronchodilator.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Which antibiotic and brochodialator? The same again or a different ones? Can you tell me if this is a permanent condition? Will it get worse? What should I do to lessen the symptoms and pain? Thanks v much.

I think you have to take some higher antibiotic than the one which you had.
You can start broncho dilator inhaler.
I think your asthmatic condition is a permanent situation and it flares up when you acquire secondary infection.
So always try to avoid chest infection.
At present you can take stem inhalation to lessen the symptoms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you name the antibio?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does that cover all the symptoms? The pain that needs 20mg oxycodone to manage, the mucus lumps that come up through the day, the numbness, the extremely loud tinnitus, dizziness etc? obviously the inability to breath and wheezing too. I'm confused as when I had an infection, the flu, was the only time the symptoms lessened, so the opposite of what you are saying but without a name for the antibioantibioti can't take any.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What conditions create a bruised feeling around the chest and upper back? Or the additional sharp, shooting pains? Why the body would produce so much mucus and secretions? TY v much.

The best antibiotic for your condition is AZITHROMYCIN .You v=need prescription for it.If the infection subsides all other symptoms you described will go away automatically.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thank you. What dose and duration do I need to ask for? thanks again.

500 mg twice daily for 5 days and the 500mg once daily for 5 to 7 days.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there, I was about to give you a positive rating but seen that AZITHROMYCIN is contraindicated in both neurological diseases and palpitations, both of which I obviously have. Is it safe with CRPS? I also have read more on Asthmatic/B but don't have a cough, the pupitations don't seem to be associated with that though obviously asking as could be wrong but also now been through 4 courses of antibiotics for this set of symptoms, is this the strongest one or can you advise an alternative that is safe with neurological conditions and irregular heart beats. Thanks v much.

There are a lot of antibiotics used for respiratory infection.
Considering your other situations AMOXY CLAV (625) will be the best choice.
dr prabir kumar das, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Is that the same 500 mg twice daily for 5 days and the 500mg once daily for 5 to 7 days?

CLAVUM OR AUGMENTIN (AMOXY 500 MG + CLAVULENIC ACID 125MG ) two time sdaily for 5 to 7 days.
Please rate positively ,oterwise I will not credited for service.
Please ask question if you have without any hesitation, I am here to help you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've now finished that prescription but no change on the symptoms. What is next?