Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am a reasonably fit 83 year old male. I appear to have developed

Customer Question

I am a reasonably fit 83 year old male. I appear to have developed a mild form of Vertigo, in that I become dizzy few seconds as I get into, and out of, bed. Changing between the prone and the upright position. Is there a simple home medication annoying effect?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
OTC medication you can take are meclizine oral twice a day or diphenhydramine oral twice or thrice a day. However, it is imperative that the cause of vertigo be determined. The most common cause is Benign paroxysmal postional vertigo (BPPV), this is caused by small calcium stones in the inner ear canals which interfere with fluid shifts during postural changes and turning the head, causing dizziness and vertigo, a simple maneuver known as the Epley's maneuver can take care of this. Another common cause is postural hypotension, where the blood pressure drops when one is standing up from a sitting or lying down position, the best way to deal with that is to first sit to 3 minutes before standing up.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating service.
Best.